Little giant incubators!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by PrestonSloan08, Jul 11, 2011.

1. PrestonSloan08

PrestonSloan08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2011
    Corner Alabama
    Does anyone else use a little giant stirofoam incubator? Because that is what I have been using!! And I haven't been have very much luck with it!! I will get a few that hatch!! But most will never make it half way through the incubation!!! I was wondering if it was me doing something wrong or the incubator!?

2. classicsredone

classicsredone Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2011
    Sacramento County, CA
    Do you have a fan in it? If not, order a fan if you have the funds. It helps a LOT with stabilizing temperatures. I haven't had any spikes since I installed ours.

3. hlf1996

hlf1996 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2011
    California
    It can really vary why you arent having a higher hatch rate. It is hard to say without more detail what is the problem. I have an LG styrofoam incubator and it is working fine, all but one are looking awesome. I hope you start having higher hatch rates, Good luck [​IMG]

4. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I have an LG with a fan. I definitely think the fan helps to keep the temperature more even (no cool spots and hot spots). The only problem I have had is with the humidity so I put a half pint mason jar with water and a sponge in it as well as filling the reservoirs in the bottom when I take out the turner to set the eggs for hatching.
    [​IMG]

5. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    I've been working on set up since Saturday; getting the temp right has been a challenge, especially as each thermometer calibrated differently so correct temp is a different number for each one AND the areas of the incubator seem to vary as well. My brain can't compute all this info!! LOL

6. ChickieBooBoo

ChickieBooBoo Cold Canadian Chick

Dec 2, 2009
    Canada
    I've heard that LG's aren't very good bators, you might consider getting a hovabator or brinsea

7. classicsredone

classicsredone Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2011
    Sacramento County, CA
    I think they're all about the same, and they all have their quirks. Styro incubators are meant for hobbyists, so they aren't the most precise. The LG thermostat is triggered by temperature if I remember right. Some others go on a timer instead of temperature. They both have ups and downs. The best thing you can do with them is to add a fan and turner. That eliminates temperature spikes, and removes the need to turn the eggs. (The LG turner rotates them six times a day, very very slowly.)

8. PrestonSloan08

PrestonSloan08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2011
    Corner Alabama
    I think I will get the fan!! But I have been doing the sponge thing too!!

9. jm93030

jm93030 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2009
  10. LilyD

LilyD Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2011
    Bristol, VT
    I use an LG forced air ( with the fan) and the only eggs I have lost so far were eggs that didn't develop to begin with. All the others are still going strong on day 13.

Good luck with getting your incubator set up.

Things to remember.

Don't leave a light on over your incubator it can affect temp inside the incubator.
    Don't set it near a window where it will get sun for the same reason or in front of a fan because it will drop the temp.
    Add warm water when you up the humidity rather than cold tap because that will drop the temp more.

Good luck!!

Lily

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by