Little giant still air incubator questions

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by pippin5, Mar 21, 2017.

1. pippin5

pippin5 New Egg

Mar 21, 2017
    This is my first time hatching eggs in an incubator. I'm really excited but I have a couple questions.

1) The instructions said not to open the incubator the first day you put the eggs in - but does that mean that you shouldn't turn them? Should I start turning them on the second day then?

2) Our humidity thermometer doesn't work very well. I have six spots to put water in at the bottom of the incubator. Should I fill them all up at the beginning when I first put the eggs in and then at day 17 (lockdown) put a sponge or wet towel to increase the humidity? Or should I start off by filling less compartments at the bottom and filling more at lockdown?

Thank you very much!

2. br0nc0

br0nc0 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 14, 2017
    Slovenia
    I've read somewhere that you should start turning on day 2, but I'd rather have someone else confirm that.

As far as the humidity goes, most incubators have manuals that tell you which water channels to fill for a desired outcome. If that's not the case I'd recommend investing in a thermomether/hygrometer (they come really cheap these days). You can always check the air sacs and see if the eggs are developing properly, but that can be tricky and you might ruin the first hatch.

Good luck!

3. feedman77

feedman77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2013
    Run your first 17 days with little to no water. Then on day 18 fill up the troughs with warm water.

I try to keep my humidity between 20 and 35. I have found drier incubation works better for me.

Turning the eggs if they are shipped I've left them in the turner for 3 days before turning. My own eggs i have set and started turner.

I think not opening the first day is for temp. Stabilization.

Still air you want temp taken at top of eggs to be 101 to 102 degrees.

Good luck

4. pippin5

pippin5 New Egg

Mar 21, 2017
    Thank you very much. I just ordered a hygrometer and am putting the eggs in today! Thank you for for the info[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by