LIttle Giant Still Air Incubator

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by tiffanyh, May 3, 2007.

1. tiffanyh

tiffanyh Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2007
    Connecticut
    Hi all!
    I just had a question about the temp in my still air incubator. I have a thermometer that came with it, it is reading 99.5 -very stable. It is sitting on a "shelf" that came with the unit. It lies about the height of teh top of the eggs. I also have a thermometer lying in the floor of the incubator. It is reading a few degree lower, around 95 or so. Should I increase the temp a bit so that the "bottom" thermometer reads 99? That means the top of the eggs would probably be at 103 or so...what so you all think?

Thanks!

2. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

From what I have read so far, the top of the eggs temp is what you need to watch. But in a still air, I thought it should be around 101...102?? Not sure. Maybe someone knows more than I do ..... this is my first year hatching in a bator. Good luck!

3. fowlweatherfriends

fowlweatherfriends Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2007
    The Sunny South
    Hello,
    Yes, the still air LG bator needs to be 101 degrees for a hatch. I had 2 thermometers, one was thermo-hygrometer (for humidity). Having the humidity reader is EXTREMELY important. Keep humidity around 40 to 50% until day 18. At day 18 increase humidity to 70%. You will fill water trays and may need to put in a very wet sock or 2 to increase the humidity.

I hatched Silkie eggs and OEGB (gamebirds). The little silver rack thing and the cheap thermometer they gave me were not sufficient. My silver rack was still too high for the height of my eggs, so I used the other thermo to gauge my temp. I had fluctuations between 95/96 and 102. But I am at home 24/7 so I could catch temp changes quickly. The Little Giant will have pretty regular fluctuations in temp, but if you catch them quick, and turn your eggs 3 to 5 times daily, and keep humidity stable, you should be OK.

Sounds intimidating, huh? [​IMG]
    Just holler if you need help!

4. Hi,
    In my LG still air, I keep the temp 101.5 at egg height (the thermometer probe is level with the top of the egg).
    The temp on the wire reads around 95.

The temperature at egg height is the one that matters.
    I've noticed if I'm incubating large eggs and small eggs in the still air, the smaller eggs will be a bit slower hatching than the large eggs --- I'm guessing because the smaller (lower height) eggs aren't quite as warm.

I had to build a wire rack for my Button Quail eggs, so they'd be at the same height (and temperature) as the bigger eggs --- otherwise, they won't hatch.

Good luck,
    Lisa

Last edited: May 4, 2007
  5. tiffanyh

Apr 8, 2007
    Connecticut
    Thanks so much everyone. I got the humidity right adn honestly, the temp has been perfect, no fluxuations. Actually Dispy, I am in the market for some button quail eggs:clap, do you ever sell any of the eggs?????

Thanks again everyone!

6. If you aren't particular about color, I've got Button eggs I'll share for postage [​IMG]

Lisa

7. tiffanyh

Apr 8, 2007
    Connecticut
    I am not at all particular----do they come in exotic colors, just out of curiousity?????

I wouldnt want to many---just enough to get a handful of birds out of! I am building my aviary soon and want to have a few button quail as residents!!

8. Hi,
    Button Quail come in many colors (and I don't know the names of the colors). The girls I have are wild quail colored, tan colored, deep gray all over, silver, and white.
    The males in the pen with the girls are both silver.
    I had them separated by colors and it was just too many pens to deal with.
    I offered them for postage, because I'm getting some clear/unfertilized eggs since I put the girls in a community pen.

Just send me a shipping addy and I'll catch a couple of days when they lay well; and I'll get them in the mail.

Lisa

9. samara

samara Out Of The Brooder

Apr 8, 2007
    Hi,

Can in piggyback on the incubator discussion. I, too, have a still air hovabator. I, without really researching it, put a type of water weasel into my incubator so the probe for my digital temp/hygro would read more accurately, and just to have something to stick it to. [​IMG] I am thinking now that that isn't working so good... What should I put my sticky probe thing onto, at egg height?

I am on like day 10. Also, my temps suddenly dropped today, and I noticed the holes on the top of the bator, I think my kids must have removed plugs or something? I stuffed toilet paper into them in an effort to get my temps up.

I knew that my thermometer should be at the top of the egg height, but I removed the one that came with my bator and placed it in with the chicks that followed me home yesterday:) So, my 95 degree readings were from the digital thermo/hygro on the bottom of my home made water weasel, which is lower than egg height.

Samara

10. mandolinmama

mandolinmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2007
    Urbana Missouri
    I too have a little giant still air bator. This is my first hatch and i've been keeping a very close eye on things. I've got my thermometers (2 of them) set at the egg height and it usually stays about 100 in there. The humidity is around 48-56.
    All but one of my 16 eggs in there seems to be developing just great. I'm on day 10 and have been candleing them. The babies seem to be about an inch long and move around really well in there.
    How hot is TOO hot for the babies. I always seem to freak out when it hits 101. Any thoughts?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by