Little Giant Still Air Incubator??

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by kare21162, May 17, 2008.

1. kare21162

kare21162 Chillin' With My Peeps

I have a Little Giant Still Air Incubator that I am using for the first time. Right now I am on day 14 with some Eastern Turkey eggs. The bottom of the incubator has 1 water ring and 2 water canals. Currently I have all of them filled with water and I do not have something to test the humidity with. Anybody know what I need to get to test that??? What should the humidity read right now? During hatch? I also don't know if I need to have all the water canals and ring filled right now. I know the humidity has to be higher when the poults are hatching. Anybody that can help me out please do! Thank You!!!

2. NurseNettie

NurseNettie Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2008
    Northern Maine
    You need to have a device to measure the humidity ( not expensive- can buy at walmart-- usually with the thermometers)... The name escapes me and I haven't hatched turkeys- so I don't want to give you the wrong percentages,but the number of 'trenches" you need filled depends on if your humidy is too high or low, based on the readings.
    I'm sure someone else will be along soon to answer you better.

3. kare21162

I can't remember what it is called either! I've looked at Wal-Mart for one and I couldn't find it. I'll have to look again! I've never hatched Turkeys before either, so I'm totally clueless. I've been trying to contact the breeder I got them from, but nobody is ever home or will return my phone calls.

4. justinszoo

justinszoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2008
    NW Ohio
    It is a hygrometer [​IMG] Not sure about the proper humidity for them tho.

5. kare21162

Thanks alot!!! [​IMG] I'm trying to look up the proper humidity for turkeys! Thanks again!!

6. Davaroo

Davaroo Poultry Crank

Feb 4, 2007
    Leesville, SC
    What you are after is called a 'hygrometer'. There are two types, wetbulb and digital. You arent likely to find an accurate one at Walmart, however. They do have the indoor/outdoor weather stations that include a hygrometer, but they aren't accurate and are over large for the small incubator.

The best Ive seen for the home incubatorist is digital, and made for cigar humidors. Its about 3" long and as big around as your thumb. I got one off ebay for $10.

But youre a little late at day 14. The best you can do now is follow the directions that came with the bator. Then, install the fan retrofit kit for the LG before the next hatch

7. kare21162

I did figure I was a little late for being half way through the incubation time, but I just wanted to make sure it was good for the hatching. I think I'll just forget about it, because it seems like I have to throw an egg or more out ever few days because they are no good anymore. I'm down to 10 out of 16 and I'm only 100% positive on 1!!!! I just saw movement out of that one this candling session. I have kept my temps consistent and I've always made sure that it had water. I just didn't know that this humidity was such a big deal until 3 days before they hatch. Well I have 2 weeks to go! I will be sure to post pictures of any poult that makes it!!!! Wish the little buggers luck!!!

8. kstaven

kstaven Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    BC, Washington Border
    When incubating turkey eggs you really want the extender ring that lifts the top a few inches higher. The element is so close to the eggs it tends to overheat them on the top, creates a hot spot and thus reduces hatch rate. Get the extender ring, measure your temperatures at the top line of the egg and hatch rates will be noticeably higher. I believe that piece is only $12.00 Adding a fan kit is also a good idea. Especially when doing larger eggs.

For turkey eggs I run temperature and humidity at the same levels as with chicken eggs. When I was still using an incubator like yours the first 25 days I used one water channel and the last three filled both. Turkey eggs are generally harder to hatch than chicken eggs for most people. So if this is your first attempt at turkeys and using a still air you aren't doing that badly.

9. Davaroo

Davaroo Poultry Crank

Feb 4, 2007
    Leesville, SC
    I didn't know about the extender ring. You should be able to make one pretty handily out of something. I'd look into that, as temp is a greater worry than Rh. I hope it isnt too late.

10. yotetrapper

yotetrapper Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2007
    North Central MS
    I sure dont know for sure, but ALL resevoirs are filled??? I filled 1 resevoir in mine, and the humidity was way to high. I only add about a tablespoon of water every 5 days!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by