Little Giant Still Air Incubator

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by lincolnsilkies, Sep 16, 2011.

1. lincolnsilkies

lincolnsilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2011
    Lincoln Nebraska
    Ya know i have my bator 1588 but i have a extra 22 eggs so i thought i might run out and buy one of these at tsc r these any good? i was thinking of trying to make one but i would probally screw it up to be honest thanks

2. Cattitude

Cattitude Chillin' With My Peeps

3. brahmakid11

brahmakid11 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2011
    sitting on the toilet
    i have one i got from tractor supply a little giant and it is @%*$

4. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    Cattitude said it!

I followed CHooksChick instructions too and had about a 50% hatch rate the first time I set my own eggs. You need to be patient with the LG and not adjust the temp very often. Get it set up well in advance as it may take several days to get the temp correct.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2011
  5. teamsunbelt

teamsunbelt Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    Midland, NC
    My first run with mine. I basically did the same thing, but I am struggling with the patients thing. The first day and night, i looked at it every chance I could find. I do not want to run the chance of cooking a bunch of very nice eggs. I work a 24 hr shift, so it has sit there all day with me not wanting to mess with it. It was holding all over the 99.5 mark on the thermometer and 40-48% humidity. I will take the advice and leave it alone unless i need to pull a plug. I am hoping to candle on Sunday, 5 days in to see what I have going on.

Should I rush the candeling or am I good with the top off for 5 or 10 min?

6. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    Don't rush your candling--it will result in dropped eggs. Freshly washed hands are more likely to drop eggs, as I found out. THe eggs do not cool off quickly--remember momma hen leaves for a while everyday to get food for herself, so take your time.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by