Little giant still air incubator

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Nmarine1057, Sep 19, 2011.

1. Nmarine1057

Nmarine1057 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2011
    Byhalia Ms
    I know this topic is on here a bunch but I'm also having trouble with my Little giant still air incubator keeping the correct humidity. It usually keeps around 40 to 50 no problem but now im testing out the lockdown period and cant get the humidity to go to 70. I've filled all 3 trays wet a huge sponge and also aded a long flat dish and put warm water in it, no change I'm testing out my acu-rite hydrometer right now with the salt test but the fluckers one is still in bator reading 52% even with all the modifications....any suggestions guys I want to make sure i can get the temp and humidity right in both stages of incubation before I add any eggs.

2. Parson's Wife

Parson's Wife Blessed Abundantly

Jan 22, 2008
    Arkansas
    How long have you had it on? It really does take a bit to regulate.

3. Nmarine1057

May 31, 2011
    Byhalia Ms
    Over 24 hours now

4. Nmarine1057

May 31, 2011
    Byhalia Ms
    Will 50% humidity work for lockdown or is it critical to raise it o 70?

5. Duramaxgirl

Duramaxgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2010
    Idaho
    I've had the most success with 60% in lockdown. Do you have both of your red plugs in the air holes? I usually ran mine with one in one out. Also try a sponge or something. If you can get it to 58% your gonna be fine. 70% is to high inmop.
    Also try using 2 therm/hydrometers, because they are never perfectly on and having 2 you ballance between them.

6. Duramaxgirl

Feb 12, 2010
    Idaho
    I see you have a sponge. Are your windows fogged up?

7. Nmarine1057

May 31, 2011
    Byhalia Ms
    Yeah a big sponge, no the windows aren't fogging, I use 3 thermometers 2 have hydrometers and one is a digital meat thermometer with probe all read a little different i was told to shoot for 102.5. Also i have a pad on top of the metal grate it is covering the water reservoirs should i cut slits in them?

Edited to say.....both the red plugs are out for oxygen during lockdown

Last edited: Sep 19, 2011
  8. packmomma

packmomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2009
    Argos, IN
    I have the forced air one. I plugged the middle bottom hole with hot glue then laid a wash cloth opened across the middle section. I tucked it in on the sides so water didnt go out of the middle area and fall out the holes on the bottom. I had to use my styrofoam egg carton bottom but my humidity is ok. I found that if I put in one of those cardboard egg carton bottoms it absorbes water really well and will keep the humidity higher along with the wash rag. Try that and see if it works. I didnt have sponges but I did have one of those!

9. Nmarine1057

May 31, 2011
    Byhalia Ms
    Quote:This sounds like a good idea! Would you post a picture so i can get a better idea please?

10. Duramaxgirl

Feb 12, 2010
    Idaho
    I never did use a pad. Just the grid thing. And I always left one red plug in and if the humidity dropped (when I would take chicks out) Id put both in till it raised again. But If you think both out is good... go for it! My LGs had fans so I needed to keep one plug in or it would dry out fast!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by