Little Giant... Still Air vs Fan??

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Mom2Munchkins, Mar 5, 2009.

1. Mom2Munchkins

Mom2Munchkins Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2009
    Upstate NY
    Ok, what is the real difference in the Little Giants with and without the fans?? I am currently borrowing a LG with a fan... I want to buy my own, but the Tractor Supply store only sells the basic model without the fan. So I guess I'm just wondering what the real difference would be if I had one without the fan?? I am so new at this. A little help please?? [​IMG]

2. gabrielle1976

gabrielle1976 Overrun With Chickens

Feb 21, 2009
    Columbia river gorge
    the fan I beleave helps keep temps even by circulateing the air . I would go with the TSC then you can add youre own computer fan or buy the kit somewhere .Good luck

3. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    To my opinion I'd rather buy the Hovabator. I have bought three LG incubators and hated them all, fan or not, they suck in the temp department.
    To save aggravation, time and money, I would not buy the LG even its cheap. You get what you pay for.

Not everyone hated the LG, some worked well for others and others hated them.

Its up to you and if still air or fan makes the difference, I would get one with the fan to maintain even temps.

4. Mom2Munchkins

Mar 2, 2009
    Upstate NY
    How much are Hovabators? And where would I get one?? We are on a pretty tight budget, my husband gets laid off for the winters, yadda yadda yadda, I've never hatched before, but it is something I'd like to keep doing. I haven't had temp problems with the LG, but I have had trouble with the humidity, first too high, now too low... [​IMG]

5. PurpleChicken

PurpleChicken Tolerated.....Mostly

Apr 6, 2007
    Iceland
    Get the fan or get a Hova Genesis with the fan.

I personally love my LG's. Many don't like them and many do. I have
    a friends Hova Genesis right now too. I like both but prefer my LG since
    I know it better.

Humidity is an easy fix. To boost it put napkins in the base with part
    of them dipped in the water wells. They will wick the water and increase
    humidity.

Remember you can always add the fan down the road. Many here use
    a computer fan. I prefer the $32 LG fan but either will work.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2009
  6. gabrielle1976

gabrielle1976 Overrun With Chickens

Feb 21, 2009
    Columbia river gorge
    again I am new so take that into account but for what info I have found the hova v LG is kinda like Pepsi V coke.
    hova and LG from all I have read are stryaphome bators you can get with or without fans and or turners .
    IMHO you really only get into any diffrence when you talk about the other ones the ones built diffrent out of diffrent matirials like the what is it brinesea 20 thats on sale for 99 bucks. thats a diffrent class fromt the hova and LG
    Am I makeing any sense.

you could try doing a search for LF or what not here and see what comes up

Good luck

[​IMG]

You could also make one for about 30-40 bucks but thats a whole nother can of worms they seem to work well but for people like me there a huge headach just cause I amnot mechanicly inclined

7. Mom2Munchkins

Mar 2, 2009
    Upstate NY
    Should I want to add the fan, where would I get it?? [​IMG]

8. Faverolle

Faverolle Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2009
    Massachusetts
    Quote:Many stores that sell poultry supplies have incubators and additional fans that can be purchased seperate or you can buy them easily online from many of the poultry supply companies.

9. macnugget

macnugget Chillin' With My Peeps

or take one out of an old computer and use a 12v adapter. I did it with mine got 100 hatch with it last week. makes a big differance keeping the temp even

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by