Little Giant Temperature?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by gapeach717, Feb 3, 2013.

1. gapeach717

gapeach717 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2012
    North, ga
    I have been searching all the LG threads and cant find an answer to this, so here goes!

I have a brand new LG 'bator and I am planning on doing my first hatch starting saturday. I decided to plug it in today to see that all the parts worked. It came with this crappy little cheap thermometer, but thats all I have available til I go buy my hydrometer/thermometer combo tomorrow.

anyhow...I have the dial turned ALL the way to the right (decrease temp) AND both red plugs out of the top and it is STILL climbing to about 116*!!

I know this will kill everything.

I dont know how else to cool it down in there? does the water work when I add it to get humidity?

I am panicking, yes, and I know that I am working with the "Pinto" of the incubator world, but this is all I could afford for now.So, that aside, can anyone help me figure out the best way to drop the temp? Do the eggs drop it more? I dont want to kill everything the first 30 mins next weekend! eek!

MANY MANY thanks in advance!!

2. superjjf

superjjf Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2012
    North East, PA
    Sounds like a bad LG or a bad thermometer. Let the air out and try again? Or shut it off for a few hours and try again? I'd take it back if it still does this. Water doesn't change temp much but a fan would.

3. superjjf

Mar 15, 2012
    North East, PA
    What is the temp outside of the incubator?

4. gapeach717

Mar 9, 2012
    North, ga
    Thank you!.

yes, twice i took the thermometer out and fanned the incubator cool again and put it back in again...and at first it was reading at 120*, but I got it now at 116* but thats pretty steady [​IMG] I am super concerned about this.

5. gapeach717

Mar 9, 2012
    North, ga
    in the room (my bedroom) its about 65* right now. but during the day around 70* (we try not to use the central heat if we can help it *having furnace issues*)

6. superjjf

Mar 15, 2012
    North East, PA
    When you start you turn it all the way up to increase. Then you let it heat up to 99.5 and then turn the decrease till the red light goes out. Sounds like the red light would never go out. Do you have another thermometer like a kids one you can try?

7. gapeach717

Mar 9, 2012
    North, ga
    i actually dont have a thermometer in the house besides this one (I know, I am a terrible mom!) I had a digital the the dog ate not too long ago and that was it. I am going to try again tomorrow when I get the new thermometer and see what happens. :( ugh. this is not a good way to start, lol!

8. superjjf

Mar 15, 2012
    North East, PA
    If you make a trip near the incubator store just return it...something is wrong.

9. gapeach717

Mar 9, 2012
    North, ga
    Really?? Ok. I hope someone has a replacement before my eggs get here. Thank you so much!!

10. gapeach717

Mar 9, 2012
    North, ga
    Ok, trying this again, re read directions and some more reviews and the sticker is backwards!! I had it at its hottest setting instead of lowest?? What???

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by