1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Little GIant vs. Homemade bator

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by kathydoolittle, Jan 21, 2011.

1. kathydoolittle

kathydoolittle Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2009
    Pittsburg KS
    I have a homemaded bator I have used twice. The first hatch was 6 duck eggs set and 6 hatched. The second was 23 chicken eggs and 21 hatched. Vs the little giant 46 eggs set 23 hatched. However i am hoping more will hatch as tomorrow is day 21. But I like the percent in the homemade better alot better.

2. Petej

Petej Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2010
    PDX area
    Go with the Homemade 'Bator.

LG's are junk. I have one and only had problems with it. My GQF OTH, I could hatch rocks with! [​IMG]

3. Petej

Dec 6, 2010
    PDX area
    Forgot to subscribe...

4. Baralak

Baralak Chillin' With My Peeps

X2

Wouldn't call them Junk... they make GREAT hatchers.... If you take out the heating element, thermostat, and replace it with a light blub and a wafer.. oh wait.. I just made a home made incubator..lol

5. victor1800

victor1800 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 18, 2009
    Connecticut
    Wow you guys are killing me with your beat down of the little giant because I am gonna use one for the first time next week. any ideas or advice on what I should be in for? Thanks Victor

6. Baralak

Yes.. I have some..

First... Go to Radio Shack... get you a knob that will fit on the temp adjustment shaft.. You sneeze, breath hard on that thing and your temps will go all over the place.. It makes it a lot easier for setting up.

Second.... Set it up a couple of days early.. Get your temp and humidity stable.

Third... DO not open after you set except to candle on the 7th, 14th and 18th day. Fill your water trays when you open to candle.

7. ZooMummzy

ZooMummzy Queen of the Zoo

Mar 31, 2008
    Philomath, Oregon
    I can't recommend the LG's at all. My first time hatching was with a friend's homemade incubator. Almost 100% hatch. With these two LG's, out of 60+ eggs I have 6 chicks. They are junk and I have two for Free next weekend [​IMG] I have never been able to keep the humidity and temps stable no matter what and who's methods I try. Heat comes on in the house - temp shoots up to 105. Temp drops in the house over night - temp goes down to 99. Humidity follows suit. It's ridiculous. My new Brinsea has not waivered from 99.5 since I plugged it - same location as the LGs.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2011
  8. Baralak

if it wouldn't cost soo much to get them here, I'd take em..

9. ZooMummzy

ZooMummzy Queen of the Zoo

Mar 31, 2008
    Philomath, Oregon
    Quote:I could certainly look into it [​IMG] I still have the boxes. I've had one for 2 months and one for a month.

10. Petej

Dec 6, 2010
    PDX area
    Yep, LG's are junk!

I would personally, with this one here, is take the electronic Thermostat out and swap in the wafer style form a GQF. Problems....solved.

The thermo in the LG here is dying, so that's what I will do if I get the chance....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by