Little Giant Vs. Homemade Incubator

LilDucky85

Songster
10 Years
Feb 8, 2009
Northern, Illinois
I'm sure this has been asked before but....

Little Giant? Or Homemade incubator?

I'm finally going to get my bator this week and thinking I should just buy the Little Giant for $43.00 while I have the chance. However, first I want to know the success rate with an Little Giant vs. Homemade?? Let me know as much as possible....remember my eggs lives depends on you!
lol.png

Last edited:
I think they work almost the same but my little giant so far has a smaller fluxation in temp it goes from say 99.0 - 100.2 or some thing like that while my home made one goes from like 98.4 - 101. 8 or a bit more . Also my little giant I orderd from tractor supply co and got it with shipping for just under 50 dollers and it cost me about 40 or more to buy all the stuff for the home made bator.
Iused a disposble stryro cooler for my home made one and Id be lucky to fit like 10 eggs in it and my LG fits about 40 .
I had a hard time wireing the thermastat to the light / heat source in my home made one but just had to plug in my LG and presto .
But there isnt a huge diffrence and I am shure if I had more stuff lying around or if I was more handy manny type I could have made a better one that would have outshined my LG but for me the LG is better.
Hope this helps

Did you see someone hatched a egg out in one of those little domed bators.. I still woudnt trust one

Last edited:
No, they did? Wow. Is it a recent thread? I read the reviews for that, and the results were mixed. Either the people had a 50% success rate or higher....or 0%. I thought the positive reviews were fake, and staged. I'm so thankful for BYC...if it weren't for all of you egg masters Id be incubating in that thing right now. It would have been fine for a one time use at $17, but now I'm addicted and will be using my LG quite often.

Thank you so much! I never really thought about the temperature fluctuation. I do remember the temperature jumps when I made my 5 minute tin foil-fish tank incubator. It was scary. They would go from 98-111 degrees.

I used that dome bator for years with great outcomes!!! As a matter of fact I just might buy another one for when I want to do small hatches. I always kept it on my kitchen counter so it would get good monitoring. I believe I only had one egg fail.

I made a homemade bator first. It wasn't cheap about $40. & I couldn't get it to regulate right after I put the eggs in so I purchased a cheap LG. I'm now using the homemade one as a brooder. My first hatch with the LG was terrible but it might have been from putting them in the homemade one for about 10 days before getting the LG or imbreeding, who knows. I have 14 in there right now due on St. Patty's so hopefully this one will be better.

KAT

My homemade bator' has a temp fluctuation of 99.3 to 99.7 and that is with a wafer thermostat. Made it on the order of a sportsman. It will hold app. 220 eggs.

Back
Top Bottom