1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Little Giant

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by melissastraka, Apr 4, 2009.

1. melissastraka

melissastraka Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2009
    Hoquiam, WA
    I need a new incubator soon and every website that i have looked at says 1-3 week shipping. I called my local TSC and they have a little giant for 49.99. What do you all think of these incubators? I have read some say good some say no way. Can I get some more information and opinions before i start traveling 2 hours away to seattle or portland to find one. Oh to hatch, its a craving...like chocolate!

2. old mill poultry

old mill poultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2009
    Some people love them, some hate them. They are very hard to adjust, which can be tricky. I lost my first three hatches to those things. My advice wait for the better one. Get a genesis hovabator 1588.

3. ajablu

ajablu Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2008
    Northeast, PA
    I have two of them. They can be very touchy and hard to get exactly where you want them. I run them about 24 hours or more before putting eggs in and make sure the temp is staying where it should be.
    They can give you very good hatches, but you have to check them frequently and make sure they have not dropped the temp or spiked. The still airs need a room that has a very consistent temp . Many people add the fan kit to these or a computer fan and get better results .

4. whippet128

whippet128 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 31, 2009
    I like my brower top hatch. It already has the turner and have had many good hatches in it. The heating element is cheep (60 watt light bulb) and the farm supply store in town sells them for 135.00.

5. melissastraka

melissastraka Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2009
    Hoquiam, WA
    Quote:how many eggs will that hold

6. panner123

panner123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    Garden Valley, ca
    I have many of them that I use in school class rooms. If they are set up properly they work just fine. The biggest mistake people make is messing with the controls once the eggs are set. They are touchy. I have use many different brands over the years and I stand behind the LG,
    (if used properly). Doesn't any of the local feed stores carry some make of bators? Here every feed store has bators for sale.

7. eestep8

eestep8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    SW Ohio
    I got one for my first hatch, 1 chick hatched so far today. I used plyers to barely adjust the thermostat, it turned to much using my fingers. Once I got it set though it stayed at that temp or a degree or 2 higher on warm days.
    I say get one, and work with it for as long as nesessary to get it right.

8. gabrielle1976

gabrielle1976 Overrun With Chickens

Feb 21, 2009
    Columbia river gorge
    LG are fine as styro bators go the thing with them especally if you dont hook up a fan , is you have to set it up in a place with as close to no temp fluctiations as possible and you have to adjust the knob by tiny tiny tiny almost like youre not moveing it incrments then give it at least an hour and 2 hours is better to make shure its where its gonna be befor you adjust it again when youre setting it up and getting it up to snuff befor the eggs.
    Something alot of people do is try to adjust it if it goes up or down a degree or so , DONT leave it alone and see what happens the more adjustments you make the more you have to make its a horrible cycle, another thing people do is they get there bator running smoothly then add the eggs , after they add the eggs the temp drops THIS IS NORMAL and then they try to adjust so the temp goes up again when they dont need to its just the eggs warming up.
    If you can get something with a fan that would be best but there isnt anything wrong with the LG
    They were haveing a sale on the brinesea 20 which is an excellent bator if you can get one.
    GOOD LUCK

9. mylilchix

mylilchix Chillin' With My Peeps

I have an LG Still Air with no turner. I've found that as long as I hand turn the eggs it keeps it's temp and humidity pretty steady. I did a test run with it to work out the kinks. Now that I'm familiar with it, I really like it. It's a good inexpensive starter bator.

Sonja

10. Teresaann24

Teresaann24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2008
    Eastern, Kentucky
    I have a love hate relationship with my LG..lol The LG'S can be awesome when you get use to them. Just play with for days for weeks even. Thats what I did with it...as you learn it you will be a pro at the LG.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by