Little girl being picked on

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by AnastasiaY, Aug 4, 2010.

1. AnastasiaY

AnastasiaY Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2010
    Everett, WA
    I've got two roos and two hens, terrible, i know. For the past few months everything has been fine, but about a week ago i noticed that the dominant roo has been picking on the runt hen. He's a huge EE and she's a TINY Silkie. He bites her and plucks her feathers out. I also noticed today that the other hen is starting this behavior too! I have already put up postings about getting rid of the EE, he's just too feisty. is there anything else i can do to help her? she hides from the flock, and runs away a lot. i've been keeping her out of the coop, and tonight she's sleeping in the house...

Any advice?

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Get rid of both your roosters, only then will there be peace among your flock. Another solution is to get rid of your EE rooster, keep the other rooster and purchase about 8-10 more hens. If you do that, remember biosecurity and keep the newbies seperated for at least 30 days.

3. AnastasiaY

Mar 17, 2010
    Everett, WA
    I am getting rid of my EE, and the other roo is a little silkie who is a complete sweetie, and then we might get maybe 1 or 2 more hens. So the total would be 1 roo to about 3 or 4 hens.. we really want chicks later on, and are attached to fuego, the silkie.

4. BeccaB00

BeccaB00 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2010
    Kansas
    I say get rid of the bully roo.
    I have had a couple chicks like this, I have one now that almost got pecked to death by his brothers and sisters and he is terrified of EVRYTHING now. [​IMG]

5. AnastasiaY

Mar 17, 2010
    Everett, WA
    Oh! I'm so sorry to hear that!

6. Tropical Chickies

Tropical Chickies Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2008
    Central Florida
    I had a similar situation happen with my silkie. My girls picked on her relentlessly and my silkie would be in the corner with only her rear end facing outward. She was scared to death. So I began to keep her separated from the flock during the day and at night she would sleep in a dog crate inside the coop. I figured after three weeks of this, they would be done picking on her and she would be fine as I had another silkie at one time without any problems. Anyhow, I went away for a day and a half and when I came home I went out to the coop to see my girls and couldn't find my silkie. My girls pecked her to death and there was barely anything left of her. She was a black silkie and the dirt in the run is black too, needless to say she was hard to find. Either you will need to separate her for good and let her have her own coop and pen or get rid of the bullies!

7. JROOSTER

JROOSTER Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2010
    Louisiana
    I would take the EE out of the coop now and house him seprate. I would try to keep the hen part of the flock so you dont have to reintoduce her later.

8. emys

emys Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    Idaho
    The roosters are just trying to mate her. She is just so little that they are too rough for her. (That and too many roosters.) She will need to kept apart from them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by