Little girl fell in water

GoofyNewt

Songster
Feb 25, 2018
One of my chicks, that is already smaller than the rest, fell in the water and got soaked yesterday. I tried drying her off but it wasn't much help. She's been very quiet and doesn't move much anymore.
Do you think she's in shock, just a little cold, other??

Chicks will be normally attracted to open water pans for the first 10 days, and may jump in and drown. I can’t see your setup, but it looks like a normal chick waterer in use. The problem could be with having ducklings in the same brooder. It is dangerous for the chicks to be getting wet, so I would separate them, and make sure there is plenty of room. They can be piling on and smothered if the ducks are bothering them, and they could be kept from food. Ducks need water to dip their beaks into, so it might be better to wait until the chicks are older and can get around well before having them together.

I've read other posts like this and the ducklings were responsible for wetting the chicks. They are water fowl and their down is different, so they won't get soaked like the chicks but it is their instinct to play in the water. You might not like the advice to separate them and yes it will cost money to set up a separate brooder for them but you risk losing your chicks if they continue to get wet.

Duck poop is wet and nasty. Your chicks are walking around in duckling poop. :sick
Make sure you pick up some Corid for coccidious while you are buying a puppy pad.
thumb blue.gif

It's already pretty warm where I am. Nights only get down to around 70-75, and with the heater on they seem to be doing really well. With the research I've done if they aren't spread out everywhere, or huddled in a corner then the temperature is right.

We can only tell you what we know from experience. I guess you will learn one way or another. Good luck.

The heat light needs to stay on- a space heater will not keep the chicks warm enough.
The temperature should be around 90*F degrees for the first week in the warmest part of the brooder and should be reduced by around 5 degrees each week thereafter, until the chicks have their feathers (5-8 weeks old).

Great advice from everyone!

Only thing I will add is, if the box (cardboard, paper towels, bedding, etc.) is wet you will also want to replace that. You risk the cardboard becoming moldy quickly which can make your chicks and ducklings very ill.

Chicks need to be on dry bedding and kept warm. If any of them are the least bit wet still, it would be a very good idea to dry them with a hair dryer.

I also agree the ducklings need a separate brooder.

How can you be sure when you see the chicks are soaked and find no other explanation?
Great advice from everyone!

Only thing I will add is, if the box (cardboard, paper towels, bedding, etc.) is wet you will also want to replace that. You risk the cardboard becoming moldy quickly which can make your chicks and ducklings very ill.

Chicks need to be on dry bedding and kept warm. If any of them are the least bit wet still, it would be a very good idea to dry them with a hair dryer.

I also agree the ducklings need a separate brooder.

Absolutely right. I used puppy pads because they absorb the water and are easily replaced and won't let the cardboard get wet. They have them at pet stores and Tractor Supply.

Back
Top Bottom