1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Little girls getting into big girls food

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Patricia Jane, Oct 14, 2011.

1. Patricia Jane

Patricia Jane Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2010
    Petaluma CA
    I am in the process of integrating 6 little girls with 4 big girls. 2 are 3 1/2 months and 4 are almost 3 1/2 months. The little ones go into the coop at night with the big girls which their food is in the coop. I place the little girls feed inside their "safe place" during the day. My problem is.. is in the morning. I am at the coop at 7am to let them out and I noticed the younger girls are eating the big girls food. I know that they are not suppose to eat layer food till atleast another month or so but how do I prevent it. Should I remove the food at night and replace in the morning? The big girls usually eat before leaving the coop for the day. The younger ones like to hang out in the coop for a while before going out.

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Consider switching your feed over to a flockraiser-type feed. It's appropriate for all ages, chicks to old birds. All you have to add is a side of oyster shell for the laying hens.

3. FuzzyButtsFarm

FuzzyButtsFarm Rest in Peace 1950-2013

I give all my chicks MannaPro or Nature Wise 18% flock raiser pellets after the age of seven weeks. They get crushed egg shells on the side. I have roosters so it works out alot better than buying different feeds. Good luck with your little girls. [​IMG]

4. Patricia Jane

Patricia Jane Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2010
    Petaluma CA
    Never considered that,..... obviously. Thanks a million. I'll certainly do that tomorrow.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by