Little goosey didn't make it :(

Discussion in 'Geese' started by Duckles, May 18, 2011.

1. Duckles

Duckles Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2011
    West Mass
    After being shrink wrapped and then having a rough navel our little guy finally hatched himself last night. He looked ok but had a distended abdomen. We applied iodine to the navel and gave him a couple drops of vitamins in water. This morning we woke up to a little dead goosey... [​IMG]

I think we had our humidity too low then when they were found to be shrink wrapped maybe I overcompensated in increasing the humidity? I'm not really sure what happened, but 4 out of 6 eggs died late.

2. Diamond Wire Farms

Diamond Wire Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2011
    Placerville, CA
    I'm sorry Duckles.

3. gofasterstripe

gofasterstripe Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] Sorry to hear your sad new this morning

4. augustwest

augustwest Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2010
    North central mass
    I'm so sorry to hear that! Is this the one that you were hatching for your mother in law?

We lost on of our ducklings yesterday. We have NO idea what happened. She simply disappeared from the cage! The gosling and other duck seem totally fine and there was no sign of "foul play". It's a totally mystery and we are so bummed.

Poor little goosey....

5. Balbinka

Balbinka Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2011
    California
    Quote:Aw, I am so sorry!
    Sounds like low humidity, high temperature.

I lost 3 of 6 Sebastopol eggs. It was my first time hatching anything.
    But you know... we've got to be grateful for our birds and the youngsters that DO hatch.

One of my babies (now owned by Diamond Wire Farms) was born with a rough navel due to high temperatures and her **literally** ripping herself out of her egg and leaving the yolk behind. It was a bloody massacre, but she made it and is doing just great! You never know with hatching eggs!

6. Duckles

Duckles Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2011
    West Mass
    Thanks everyone for your kind words.
    Augustwest - my MIL's eggs turned out to be all duds, the goose sat on about 15 others and nothing even pipped. These were shipped eggs. I'm sorry about your loss, that sounds strange. Are you suspecting it was a predator? I remember someone recently posted on the duck forum about how snakes can get into cages sometimes and snatch little ones.

Balbinka
    - Thank you for your advice, I think next time I hatch I will need to get a better thermometer. I am definitely thankful today! I had wanted to name my gosling Rosemary and my fiance wanted to call her Rosie. Well today I looked on craigslist for goslings just to see if anyone has any nearby, and I find an ad for an adult buff pair, which is my favorite breed. I called up and my fiance brought me up to check them out, well wasn't the female's name Rosie! We were like ok this is a sign... The owners were a very sweet older couple and they told me the geese had won ribbons as show geese but are no longer used to show. They are great, I'm so happy to have them especially after losing our eggs. My silver lining [​IMG]

Here they are, Rosie and Cole (we were told they have started to molt)

[​IMG]

7. Balbinka

Balbinka Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2011
    California
    That is so incredible!

It was obviously meant to be- I'm getting tingles on the back of my neck.
    How sweet!

[​IMG]

8. augustwest

augustwest Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2010
    North central mass
    "Augustwest - my MIL's eggs turned out to be all duds, the goose sat on about 15 others and nothing even pipped. These were shipped eggs. I'm sorry about your loss, that sounds strange. Are you suspecting it was a predator? I remember someone recently posted on the duck forum about how snakes can get into cages sometimes and snatch little ones."

We think FOX. I think he got out of the cage and that fox was close by waiting. He'd gotten a pullet brooding in the same spot a week ago. DH didn't realize he couldn't leave the door to the garage open.... Even though it was only an hour, that was long enough. The other 2 are doing great, though. Funny to see the pair hanging out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by