Little guys bleeding!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Habriel, Jul 15, 2019.

1. Habriel

Habriel Chirping

Feb 14, 2019
    Petal Mississippi
    So I have one trying so hard to get out of the egg. It’s busted all the shell, but can’t push through the membrane. I saw a lot of blood and made the emergency decision to pop a hole where the beak was so it can breath. It’s breathing and making pips. My humidity is staying at 74%. Do you think he will make it. No I didn’t bust the shell and I’ve never seen anything like it in my life!!!

2. Shamo Hybrid

Shamo Hybrid Songster

Jun 6, 2018
    Keep the membrane moist so that it tears away more easily, people in here have mention coconut oil. I've never had a problem with my chicks breaking out of their shell/membrane apart from one that pipped and died inside it's egg, but I don't think you need that high of a humidity..... it might do more damage than good. I hatched all mine at 40% from beginning to end, but that's just been my experience.

3. Chickassan

Chickassan Wattle Fondler

How far along is it in days?

HuffleClaw and ChickNanny13 like this.
  4. Pyxis

Pyxis Hatchi Wan Kenobi

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    Do you mean you saw a lot of blood in the pip hole? It may have struck a blood vessel when it tried to pip. Can you post a picture of it?

Habriel, HuffleClaw and ChickNanny13 like this.
  5. ChickNanny13

ChickNanny13 Crossing the Road

Jun 23, 2013
    The Big Island/Hawaii
    Keep the membrane moist with coconut oil or vaseline or even veg oil if anything. Lockdown humidity, I've read should be about 70 - 75%. You got Pyxis helping out and she's experienced. Best wishes ....

Habriel and HuffleClaw like this.
  6. Habriel

Habriel Chirping

Feb 14, 2019
    Petal Mississippi
    It’s been 18hrs since it’s pipped

HuffleClaw likes this.
  7. Habriel

Habriel Chirping

Feb 14, 2019
    Petal Mississippi
    So it got out the shell but still has membrane wrapped around it. The picture is super grafic and I apologize. Never in my life seen this. The shell crumbled around it and it’s in this bloody membrane. I’m upset and disgusted not touching it in hopes it makes it. I’ve been watching and it’s still breathing. I’m giving it till tonight

Attached Files:

HuffleClaw likes this.
  8. Habriel

Habriel Chirping

Feb 14, 2019
    Petal Mississippi
    612D4B33-E8E6-46E7-9074-76367CF52BEE.jpeg I took the other ones out very very quickly so they wouldn’t hurt it. The other 5 are happy and healthy.

HuffleClaw likes this.
  9. Habriel

Habriel Chirping

Feb 14, 2019
    Petal Mississippi
    The others pipped out completely 24hrs ago. I think they where playing king of the hill on the other egg which is why the other chick ended up damaged. I would of had a 100% hatch... :(

HuffleClaw likes this.
  10. Habriel

Habriel Chirping

Feb 14, 2019
    Petal Mississippi
    Poor little late bloomer was beaten by its siblings. :( I assume anyways.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2019

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: