Little help guys please! Fowl pox or not?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Zach O, Dec 4, 2016.

1. Zach O

Zach O New Egg

Dec 4, 2016
    Now quick question....I've been raising chickens for a lil while now and the other day I acquired another roo and 4 hens from a local guy, RIR's to add to my already existing RIR's. The roo has some spotting on his comb that concerns me a lil and one of the hens has a glassy/milky left eye. Mind ya now the guy I got em from had about 70 chickens total and maybe 10 roos in the bunch. So I was wondering if ya guys think that spotting on my new roo might be fowl pox or maybe just fighting or something? And maybe the hen is just blind in that eye due to possibly getting pecked or possibly something else. I have all the new birds quarantined right now and I've been observing em. They're around the 8 month old range. I planned to keep em quarantined for 2 weeks at least and see how they do. My other flock is pretty healthy and I sure dont wanna start anything I'll regret. I'm sure there's a better place to post this question but I need some help quick. Thanks in advance. I took pictures as best as I could for y'all.
    [​IMG][/IMG][/IMG]

2. Zach O

Zach O New Egg

Dec 4, 2016
    [​IMG]

Here's the hen

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    The spots look like peck marks to me. Can't tell much about the hen's eye from the picture. Blindness can be caused by many different things, such as infection, cataracts, vitamin A or E deficiency, avian encephalitis (AE,) Mareks, and others.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by