Little help please

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by holahead, Feb 15, 2009.

1. holahead

holahead Out Of The Brooder

Jan 18, 2009
    Alabama
    Hello how is everyone today. I have got a few questions for ya'll if thats ok. First I am getting my baby chicks next weekend. I have spent most of yesterday getting all the stuff ready. My first question is I went to the feed store and told them I needed some chick starter. I looked this evening and I notice it is medicated. Do I need medicated feed for my chicks? I am raising the chicks for eggs that my family and I can eat. I know it would be a while before they are laying but would feeding them the medicated feed now as chicks affect them when they are laying? Also when watering your chicks do you use water out of the tap or do you need something like spring water or filtered water? I know these questions may seem a little silly but this is my first time with baby chicks and want everything to go along go. Thanks for any and all help.

2. Blue_Myst

Blue_Myst Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2009
    Do I need medicated feed for my chicks?

You don't 'need' medicated feed, but I've heard it is easier. What medicated feed does is helps them build up an immunity to the Cocci spores in the ground (which can give them coccoidosis when they are very young or under stress). I personally have never heard of any problems with the eggs when they are fed medicated, but I could be wrong.

Also when watering your chicks do you use water out of the tap or do you need something like spring water or filtered water?

They should be fine with just tap water.

Hope this helps [​IMG] And, of course, [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 15, 2009
  3. Blue_Myst

Blue_Myst Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2009
    Sorry, duplicate post

Last edited: Feb 15, 2009
  4. cluckychick

cluckychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2008
    South of KCMO
    Where I live, Medicated is all you can purchase. You only feed it to them to the point of lay and then switch to regular layer feed so all the medicated feed is out of their system before the first egg pops out.

I give regular tap water, never been a problem.

Enjoy your new chickies and post some pics, we here at BYC just love new pics of fuzzy butts [​IMG]

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by