Little help with soft egg shells & chickens eating egg

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Boatgirl48, Aug 19, 2013.

1. Boatgirl48

Boatgirl48 New Egg

Jul 24, 2013
    One of my girls has started laying either in the evening or very early morning and her eggs are really soft shelled. I squashed one open yesterday and there was blood in it.
    Also I have noticed that the other girls are eating these eggs before I can get to them in the morning. They are fine with all other eggs laid during the day. Has anyone any ideas?
    Thanks.
    Kim

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    You might try giving more calcium in the diet by feeding back crushed egg shells or oystershell in a container so they can free feed it, but soft or shell-less eggs are common in new hens getting the kinks out. All chickens will eat an egg like that, so there is not a risk of creating egg-eaters. Sometimes a chicken will always lay an egg with blood in it or something wrong, and you can just cull the chicken or feed those eggs back to the chickens.

3. Boatgirl48

Boatgirl48 New Egg

Jul 24, 2013
    Eggcessive - Thanks for your reply. I already cook up their eggshells and feed back, they love them. The girls are not young, they are ex-"freerange". Google has me worried that it might be Egg Drop Syndrome so I'll give the coop a real good clean out just to be sure. Don't even know which chook is laying these so might have to do a bit of seperating until I find her.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by