Little Help

Giveneratry

Hatching
5 Years
Sep 22, 2014
Portland , OR
So I have been researching everything about quail for some time now --raising, hatching,feeding and all that jazz...I have already put together a couple brooders and was thinking about ordering an incubator.. First off I'm not a rich man or a master carpenter...So i have a few ?'s if ya all don't mind. What is a fairly good incubator in the 50-70$ range if there is one and also if anyone has any plans and idea's on some simple quail cages to build it would be much appreciated. I would like to build these before I even attempt to hatch any quail. My end goal is maybe about 50 birds so I'm probably looking at stackable cages and I might also hang some under an overhang.. Thanks in advance an hope all are having a good day. Cheers Oh, also would you recommend getting the eggs for hatching from different folks so ya know they aren;t all from the same bloodline?

So I have been researching everything about quail for some time now --raising, hatching,feeding and all that jazz...I have already put together a couple brooders and was thinking about ordering an incubator.. First off I'm not a rich man or a master carpenter...So i have a few ?'s if ya all don't mind. What is a fairly good incubator in the 50-70$ range

Usually good incubators are more then that. But I got GQF hovabator 1602n still air and it worked pretty good. You can get the forced air if you want its like a couple bucks more. Or you can get parts and build one yourself, There are a whole bunch plans on the coops section for DIY incubators.
jumpy.gif

if there is one and also if anyone has any plans and idea's on some simple quail cages to build it would be much appreciated.
I would like to build these before I even attempt to hatch any quail.

If you search up Cheap Quail Coop you'll find a pretty easy quail coop thats easy to build. One member made it and i feel like its really easy and cool
thumbsup.gif
. Or you could go on the quails sticky and see the thread Show Me Your Quail Coops.

My end goal is maybe about 50 birds so I'm probably looking at stackable cages and I might also hang some under an overhang.. Thanks in advance an hope all are having a good day. Cheers Oh, also would you recommend getting the eggs for hatching from different folks so ya know they aren;t all from the same bloodline?

Yes so you dont have mixed blood. Some people are okay with it but I feel like its incest and dont want that.
sickbyc.gif
Okay good luck and you should wait until spring next year cuz the quails have either stopped laying or have very bad fertility. Good luck!

You don't need to wait until spring. Fertility is not affected by season. If you have coturnix they will stop laying in winter unless you put them under artificial light. Some breeds of quail will not be readily available this time of year because they are seasonal (valley quail, gambels quail, bobwhites, etc.) but you may still be able to find some hold overs. Just remember that only coturnix and button quail lay eggs every day. All the other quail species only lay from May to August.

For your incubator question, most people seem to start out with Hova-bator or Little giant styrofoam incubators.

You don't need to wait until spring. Fertility is not affected by season. If you have coturnix they will stop laying in winter unless you put them under artificial light. Some breeds of quail will not be readily available this time of year because they are seasonal (valley quail, gambels quail, bobwhites, etc.) but you may still be able to find some hold overs. Just remember that only coturnix and button quail lay eggs every day. All the other quail species only lay from May to August.
i have a a question. Is fertility affected by light? Cuz none of my eggs are fertile right now

Light does affect fertility in chickens so I would assume the same is true for quail, but that is only regarding birds kept indoors. Regardless of light, fertility should be better than zero. Are you sure the eggs aren't fertile or is something up with your incubator that is stopping them from developing?

Light does affect fertility in chickens so I would assume the same is true for quail, but that is only regarding birds kept indoors. Regardless of light, fertility should be better than zero. Are you sure the eggs aren't fertile or is something up with your incubator that is stopping them from developing?
I crack them open and they have no bullseye so...
hu.gif

I crack them open and they have no bullseye so...
hu.gif
If I were you I'd run some eggs in the incubator to see if you are just missing the bullseye. It never hurts to be sure. If your roosters aren't fertile for sure and you need new ones let me know, I have some extras right now that would be ready in a couple weeks.

Back
Top Bottom