Little hen, big rooster?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by GammaPoppyLilyFlutter, Jan 5, 2011.

1. GammaPoppyLilyFlutter

GammaPoppyLilyFlutter Love Comes with Feathers

Jun 26, 2010
    California
    I'm hatching some eggs for a science fair project, but I can only keep 3 females. The others I have to give away. There's somebody who has an Australian Pit Bantam pullet who is looking at adopting one of the chicks when they hatch, but what if he adopts a rooster? The chicks in the eggs are fairly large breeds (BO, BR, White Leghorn, RIR, and Delaware), so if the rooster tried to mount Henrietta (the pullet) would he kill her?

Also, if they got a hen, would it grow up and pick on tiny Henrietta? The chick will be introduced to Henrietta when it's fairly young, so I think not, but I'm not entirely sure.

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Please post a picture of the Australian Pit Bantam. Yes, there is potential for a large rooster to hurt a smaller hen while breeding. I wouldn' worry if the chick is a pullet. That Australian Pit Bantam sounds like it can take care of itself.

3. GammaPoppyLilyFlutter

Jun 26, 2010
    California
    I don't have a picture of Henrietta herself, but here is a picture of an Australian Pit Bantam pullet

[​IMG]

4. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

I have experience with Golden Sex Links, which are a cross between RIR and RIWhite. They are aggressive to other hens. I have heard many say on BYC that RIR hens are aggressive to other hens.

I would be concerned about a heavy LF roo mating with a bantam.

The person can always try it out to see if the hens get along. [​IMG]

Many people on BYC successfully mix bantams and LF.

5. GammaPoppyLilyFlutter

Jun 26, 2010
    California
    Quote:In that case, I guess I'll probably give them a pullet. But I'll make sure to not give them a RIR.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by