Little hole in ducks foot...

newchickmom09

Songster
10 Years
Jul 15, 2009
ARIZONA
I just noticed this morning that my duck Cocoa looks like she has two little holes in her foot (in the webbed part). It that normal? They are about the size of a ball point pen tip.

Where did you get her?

If it was from a farm store or a hatchery they may have hole punched the webbing of her foot.

Well, that's not entirely true because even some home breeders hole-punch their babies to mark who they came from etc.

I'd like to know the answer to this because my DH once caught a Cory Shearwater seabird with his fishing hook (the bird was diving after the lure). The hook snagged the foot and although we got it out, there was a hole left (no blood). I always wondered if that bird ended up okay.

Last edited:
A friends bought them both from a guy off the side of the road. Then they were given to us to watch for a while then that turned into them being our ducks.
roll.png
So I know nothing about them before we got them. Our friend didn't ask any questions just bought two cute ducklings.

They are really tiny little holes a little larger then a needle.

It can be a couple of things...

• It may have been raised on some rocky ground or other hard surface.

• It may need more niacin in its diet

When I got my drake, he had those too but they were already starting to heal. The people I bought him from had had some niacin deficiency issues with their ducks when they were younger, but had already started treating them. It's been a couple of weeks now and they are gone.

Thank you wifezilla I keep trying to look it up and keep getting why you should feed your dog duck...because it has a great source of niacin.
th.gif
barnie.gif

Back
Top Bottom