Little hunters!

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Missi, Sep 12, 2011.

1. Missi

Missi Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2011
    Naples, FL
    I offered live crickets for my juvenile bobs last night...I LOVED watching them slowly stalk & the BAM nab & swallow them whole [​IMG] I fall in love with these guys more & more every day [​IMG] I know mealworms are fine but crickets are, too, right? What about waxworms/beemoths?

2. Mibotsu

Mibotsu Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    Balbriggan, Ireland
    always remember this....bobwhites are still out in the wild, so they can pretty much have any bugs they would encounter out in the wild.

3. Tikkajazz94

Tikkajazz94 Chillin' With My Peeps

would superworms work?

4. The Critter Place

The Critter Place Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2011
    Tucson, Az.
    Quote:I've come across a lot that suggests superworms are bad for the animals due to how they are raised. Hormones I guess you could say for the size.

I have geckos and chose to go with regular mealworms. and an occasional wax worm as a treat. They are fattening.

I raise all my own mealworms, so I know my animals are eating healthy snacks.

5. Missi

Missi Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2011
    Naples, FL
    BUT! Superworms are their own species of beetle. I have a Superworm colony in my waxy monkey treefrog habitat, also a meal worm colony...& cricket colony...LOL Because my monkey frogs are picky eaters. I got curious & I researched the species of beetle the Superworms turn in to & it is a type of darkling beetle from South America. They are not hormoned-up mealworms, to my knowledge.

My hubby & I actually encourage the beetles to reproduce by feeding & watering them in the substrate at the bottom of my vivarium because we like watching the growth stages! [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 12, 2011
  6. The Critter Place

Aug 13, 2011
    Tucson, Az.
    Maybe I'm confusing them with another similar to the meal worm, and larger .
    I know there is one out there that is suggest as not to feed geckos due to steroids they are given.

7. animal8

animal8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2011
    Oxford
    Quote:Is the superworm another name for a king mealworm? They have those over here, and yeah, they are definitely they're own species, though I think they are related to the beetle the mealworm turns into. Can't remember the name of the beetle off the top of my head, but I do remember researching and finding that [​IMG]

8. The Critter Place

Aug 13, 2011
    Tucson, Az.
    O.K.
    Now it's bugging me and I will have to figure out which one it is I'm thinking of. [​IMG]

9. chrishel

chrishel Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2011
    The Windy City
    I've heard that Superworms are mealworms treated with hormones also and that they will never pupate into beetle.

I wonder if we are thinking of two separate things and that it's all marketing and dependent upon where you get them.

I've also seen tomato horn worms (UGH!) for sale at the reptile store. But supposedly, you can't feed tomato horn worms from your garden to reptiles because tomato plants are toxic to reptiles. At least that's what the reptile store guy said.

Sorry, but all of them give me the willies! [​IMG]

10. The Critter Place

Aug 13, 2011
    Tucson, Az.
    O.K.
    I did find this about Giant Mealworms..Maybe they are what I was thinking of. It was over a year ago I did all the searches for our geckos. lol..

http://www.wormman.com/pd_giant.cfm

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by