Little incubator help

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by 3ChickensinNC, Apr 3, 2012.

1. 3ChickensinNC

3ChickensinNC Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2012
    on the coast
    My son requested an incubator for his birthday. So I got some recommendations and narrowed it down to three. Of the three I am leaning towards the Brinsea Octogan 20, but my son keeps saying he wants the Hovabator The Geneisis. So what I would like to know is what is involved in cleaning a styrofoam incubator? How much harder is it than the plastic Brinsea one? I am new to the chicken thing so I diffently know nothing of incubating and the cleaning, so as much as help as I can get is greatly appreciated.

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    I personally prefer the Hovabator over the Brinsea. The Brinsea is really small. The Styrofoam is not hard to clean at all. Just use warm, soapy water if it gets dirty. I've had both. If you can, I would recommend the Hovabator model with the automatic thermostat and also get an egg turner.

3. 3ChickensinNC

3ChickensinNC Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2012
    on the coast
    Thats the one my son wants. And I can get it online from a hatchery site with free shipping, no tax, and I have a $15 coupon, so it helps. That includes the turner.

4. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    Go for the Hovabator. I have 2 OLD ones that are far from automatic and they work perfectly. After each hatch, I clean the bottom and water tray with a diluted bleach solution, let it soak, rinse and reload. During the hatching process, I recommend laying down some of the plastic cushy shelf liner stuff for easy cleanup.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by