Little JJ's Chicken Palace...

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by LittleJJs, Jan 30, 2013.

1. LittleJJs

LittleJJs Out Of The Brooder

Jan 13, 2013
    Tn.
    So Dad finally got a day to do some construction. Here is phase 1 of the Chicken Palace. The front area is 6x3x2.5 (tall), in back are 8 14"x14" nest boxes on two levels, with access doors on the back side. The run is temporary, but will be 12x6x6' tall. Much improved from the converted dog house (soon to be chicken tractor).

I know I need a feeder and watering system set up, that will be phase 2 - any suggestions for maintenance on this coop, or issues that I over looked? At the moment construction has turned the run into a sloppy clay mess - so i have straw hay laid over it.[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Jarrett Dobbins

Jarrett Dobbins Out Of The Brooder

Jan 25, 2013
    North Carolina
    I think this is an excellent coop if you are using it temporarily. It looks very nice [​IMG]! Once you build your permanent one, I believe it will be the chicken palace!

3. LittleJJs

Jan 13, 2013
    Tn.
    Well, with the exception of the run area, the coop is permanent. Im curious why this structure would be temporary?

4. Jarrett Dobbins

Jan 25, 2013
    North Carolina
    I figured you would be using this as a temporary structure until you get the rest built. I didn't realize it was going to be part of the actual 'palace'. Sorry about that!

5. LittleJJs

Jan 13, 2013
    Tn.
    Ah - it is hard to see the whole thing - the roost area, i guess you would call it is enclosed 18sq ft - the feed and water area will be semi enclosed below the portion you can see also 18sq ft. The nest boxes sit behind everything here, and the access will be from doors at the back. I need to take more photos of this to better show it, but the whole front with the slider opening lifts for cleaning, and then there is a side door on the right that the kids are using to feed and water. The run will be the biggest addition - one of my questions is whether or not to cover the run, or do the roof area with just screen/wire? Any suggestions?

6. JanetS

JanetS Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2012
    We have a roof over part of the run and just hardware cloth over the rest. That way on rainy days (like today) they have a dry place to go.

7. Jarrett Dobbins

Jan 25, 2013
    North Carolina
    Oh wow! That is huge! You really can't tell it from the photos

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by