Little Kids & Baby Chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by agirly4chicks, Feb 18, 2009.

1. agirly4chicks

agirly4chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2009
    Hamilton, Georgia USA
    We just got 10 baby chicks today and already have a lot of family and friends with kids that want to come see and play with them.

If you have had kids under 10 around 3 day old chicks PLEASE tell me what to look out for so that my chicks don't get hurt.

I am going to make everyone wash there hands before and after but what else. Please help me I am a first time chick mommy with no human kids.

2. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

The rule at my house with grandkids or other kids is they can only pet the chick on the top of the head....no holding.

3. baldie

baldie Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2008
    Douglas, MA
    I have them sit on the floor with their legs straight out and put the chick on their lap and sit with them to make sure everything is okay![​IMG]

4. katrinag

katrinag Chillin' With My Peeps

I never let anyone play with them the first day that they come. To much stress. I have a 2 year old and he just loves the chicks. We make sure the brooder is always clean and we wash hands after we touch and play. If my little guy get to rough we cover the top so he can not get in.

5. sara

sara Title Needed Here

I only let my three year old pet, he is way to crazy to let hold them on his own. He does not understand gentle.

6. mommathea

mommathea Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2009
    I let my 5yr old pick them up, but have taught him to scoop them up from underneith.
    My 4yr old and 2yr old can only hold them with a slightly cupped hand with me right beside them.

7. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2008
    Nebraska
    I have an 8 and a 10 year old.

I don't let them pick the chicks out of the brooder themselves. I make them sit down first, then they point to the chick they want to hold and I hand it to them.

I also only let them hold any individual chick for a couple of minutes at the most so that the chick doesn't get too cold or stressed.

With my kids I've had to stress: move slowly to not scare them, talk quietly, and use both hands to gently cup them so they can't jump. I also have tried to get my kids (as much as they can) to explain to me why its important to not squeeze too hard, etc.

So far my kids are very, very excited at being able to raise some chicks (86 total... plus I have 6 geese and 7 ducks coming tomorrow or friday).

8. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Quote:And not unless Grandma is in the room to watch over them. [​IMG]

I let mine sit on the floor with a bath towel just for a few minutes and pat them gently on the head. No holding what so ever!!!

9. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    When my 4 y/o 'holds' the chicks, he sits on the floor and puts the chick between his legs, also on the floor. If he moves his legs, he loses the chick. He is my helper, and keeps the chicks 'corraled' for me while I clean their box out. [​IMG]

10. Teach97

Teach97 Bantam Addict

Nov 12, 2008
    Hooker, OK
    oops..I let my 7 and 9 yr olds do whatever...we hold them we pet them we watch them...haven't lost any to that...we do leave them alone if they come through the mail for a few days...my boys help feed and water

Having said that...friends aren't allowed unless I am around...even then I am picky...guess I think more of my kids than I should...sue me I'm a Dad! I do let the kids in my class hold the birds we hatch..but they are my kids too

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by