1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Little knobby "gland ?" on top of tail ???

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by coloradochick, Aug 19, 2008.

1. coloradochick

coloradochick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 19, 2007
    Brighton, CO
    My 5 Pekin babies are turning 2 weeks today and tomorrow. I let them play in the tub with a little water today and noticed that 2 of them had a knob on the top of their tails. Are these Preening glands? Never noticed them when their mom and dad were babies. [​IMG]

2. Wolf-Kim

Wolf-Kim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2008
    Yes, it's the oil gland.

I've watched my geese nibble and rub their head all over the oil gland and then proceed to rub their head over the rest of their feathers.

Chickens have them too, just much smaller and more discreet. You have to cut them out when you process a bird to eat or else it contaminates the meat. Just an interesting tidbit.

-Kim

3. coloradochick

Dec 19, 2007
    Brighton, CO
    Thanks Kim [​IMG]

Is it possibly [​IMG] bigger on males than females ?

4. Wolf-Kim

Wolf-Kim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2008
    I wouldn't count on it as a method of sexing them. I'm sure if there was a considerable difference in size, more people today would be looking at the oil gland instead of the vent. LOL

-Kim

5. coloradochick

Dec 19, 2007
    Brighton, CO
    I kind of figured that would be your answer but I thought I'd giv'r a shot anyways [​IMG]

6. d.k

d.k red-headed stepchild

* First time I saw that gland on Miss Chook I thought it was a hideous parasite of some sort!!! ~:eek:

7. coloradochick

Dec 19, 2007
    Brighton, CO
    I could only really see it on 2 of the 5 baby ducklings and they're the bigger of the 5 so I thought, "Hmmm, maybe that might be an indicator" "Maybe that's where the Curly Feather grows from...." Nope.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by