little lesser hen trying to share nest?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by katekearby, Jul 25, 2014.

1. katekearby

katekearby Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2014
    Do you ever have one of the lesser hens try to get the same nest box as one of the biggest, little jessie seemed to insist on being in the box with big elthel yesterday. she got pecked pretty severly and almost looked like she was playing dead at one point on the coop floor. they finally did lay in oppisite corner nests? Below is the 7/7 take yesterday, it's the top left egg, jessie's and the second from the right brown egg ethel the NHR. Should I be concerned about this, I thought Jessie had lost her mind.

[​IMG]

2. krista74

krista74 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2014
    Victoria, Australia.
    No, don't be concerned. [​IMG]

I think this is a simple case of both birds needing to lay at the same time, and both preferring that particular nest box.

I had the same thing happen just two days ago - my beautiful BO (lowest in the pecking order) was sitting with (or rather, on top of!) one of our RIR's (highest in the order.)

Luckily the RIR was still in the dreamy egg-laying phase so she tolerated it. Normally she won't even sit next to her on the roost!

It's funny how they all seem to have their favourite nest box, and no other box will do! I wouldn't be too concerned though. Unless they draw blood they will usually sort out their differences between themselves.

- Krista

3. katekearby

May 7, 2014
    thank you, i have 4 boxes, but they only seem to like 2 of them, i've thought about adding one or 2 more in different locations? They would need to be built with individual roof maybe as one area I could add one is under the roost, The locations would also be tougher for me to reach to collect. Should I add them?

4. krista74

krista74 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2014
    Victoria, Australia.
    Well, they say you only need 1 nest box for every 4 hens, so as long as you have covered your bases there you should be fine.

More nest boxes doesn't mean they will start using them all.

I speak from experience, lol. I have 6 pullets, all laying, and 6 nest boxes.

They use two of them. [​IMG]

They all look the same. They all have plastic eggs in them. But they will fight a great battle to get into those two boxes!

You just can't argue with chicken logic....

- Krista [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  5. katekearby

May 7, 2014
    understand that idea. the hen that lays the huge tan one, Louise the BR always uses the right box. gertie likes the left one unless she can't get it . yesterday was 7/7 today was 5/7 and 100 degrees.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by