Little loner

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by lostnstars, Mar 21, 2015.

1. lostnstars

lostnstars Out Of The Brooder

Jun 12, 2014
    Hi,
    Today I brought home a 4-5 day old Australorp pullet. Next Saturday I will hopefully be adding a barred rock and an Americauna. Until then, my little Australorp is all alone. She won't stop cheeping! Is it okay that she's alone? I have a lamp on her and she's in a room with several other types of animals so it's not totally lonely or quiet in there.

2. Old 76 Farm

Old 76 Farm Out Of The Brooder

Oct 17, 2014
    Central NY Country
    Yes, your little one is probably lonely, chickens are such social animals. You might want to try putting a mirror in the brooder till you can get her some friends [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  3. Anira

Anira Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2013
    Fossil, OR
    Chickens are flock animals, and need other poultry with them, especially baby chicks. Try giving it a mirror, it might calm down a bit. I always get my chicks in pairs, even if the second one is a breed I don't even want.

1 person likes this.
  4. Ciqala

Ciqala Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2013
    New Hampshire
    Try putting a feather duster in there with her, she'll cuddle right into. I had to do this when I had to separate one that wasn't doing well and it worked like a charm.

1 person likes this.
  5. lostnstars

Jun 12, 2014
    All I had was this feather boa. She was not convinced.

[​IMG]

6. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Do you have a wool neck scarf? Wrap it loosely around your neck, making a hammock against your chest. Place the lonely chick in this pouch and it will go right to sleep and not utter a peep. Your body heat will keep it at exactly the right temp, and all you need to do is let it run around and poop and eat and drink every hour. Then back into the pouch.

At night, as long as you can sleep on your back, keep it in the pouch under your chin, and the chick will sleep all night.

I know it's a bit of a hassle doing it this way, but it beats all the frantic peeping. And the guilt.

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Give her a little stuffed toy to cuddle with.

8. newmarch2014

newmarch2014 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2014
    I agree a mirror and a stuffed animal (the fuzzier the better) was what I used when I had a sick chick last year that had to be isolated for about 5 days....she was much happier when I added the mirror.

9. lostnstars

Jun 12, 2014
    Oh man. Finally have her mostly asleep. I have a cloth ferret carrier that goes on like a back pack that goes on your front. I stuck a heating disk in there and zipped her up. The whole thing is in my lap right now but I'm hoping she will be happy to learn to sleep in it and I can leave it in the brooder cage. We just need to get through a week!

I don't think I'll make it. I'll probably buy her a buddy on Monday lol.

10. WalnutHill

WalnutHill Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 16, 2014
    SE Michigan
    I had a lone turkey poult last year due to an incubator issue and ended up buying half a dozen bantams at TSC to keep him company for 3 weeks (which I later had to rehome as I couldn't move them to the coop with the production layers). He cried like a baby until he had friends, despite trying the usual "substitutes". [​IMG]

And then he adopted the bantys, and would spread his naked little wings to shelter them.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2015

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by