Little Lou

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Duckfarmer1, Oct 8, 2019.

1. Duckfarmer1

Duckfarmer1 Songster

Jul 23, 2019
    Kane,Pa
    I have a dear duck, Little Lou...he’s almost 7 mths but a runt. Still not full feathered still no quack for boy or girl..barely a peep. I think his wings never developed..Chris thought for awhile that he was a feather picker because they were scabby underneath...but I never saw him do that...he weighs nothing.....please give me your input about these tiny wings. And if I can help him...his new this is being a loner...the ducks are free range..but stick very close by, but I usually have to go look for Lou...lol...I’m worried about predator and winter.look at pictures ...wing has no feathers...and then his little body...well...he sure doesn’t look like a full sized duck...we have 10 week old ducklings who weigh much more...help? Ignore chickens..lol BA7AC524-FFA8-40AB-A0CF-F83E5F2F3E64.jpeg 065CC728-3AD6-4FB1-94A0-79177668A5AD.jpeg

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia John 3:16

Legs look strong and sturdy. Do the others pick on him? ever noticed them keeping Lou away from the water or feed? Maybe add some Vitamins to his drinking water. You def want to put some weight on him before winter sets in. I'd get liquid B complex it's just so all around good for them and will help stimulate his appetite. Offer it to Lou over a healthy snack like peas or meal worms.
    He is def behind in feather growth, Adding so extra protein to his diet along with the liquid B complex should help with feathers. He sure is a cutie just needs some extra help. Liquid B complex at TSC is the best we have found. In the cattle section it will say injectable but just pull out 1 ml daily and add over a treat for Lou.

3. DuckyDonna

DuckyDonna Free Ranging

Aug 26, 2018
    Dallas, Georgia
    Are you supplementing him with any vitamins or protein? I would think that a good place to start would be to get him on some vitamin B-Complex which should help no matter what is wrong with him. Not sure what else to tell you but I see that @Miss Lydia is on this thread so I'm sure she'll think of something soon.

4. DuckyDonna

DuckyDonna Free Ranging

Aug 26, 2018
    Dallas, Georgia
    To get some extra protein in Lou pick up some cat food. It's usually high in protein and put some of that in his food. Also, how about some nutritional yeast flakes too. That is good for all your birds as well as for humans. I've been sprinkling it over the food in my buckets every day. "NOW" is the brand Miss Lydia and I get from Amazon. You want it "fortified". That may be overkill while you're giving the b-complex but I don't think it will hurt. They will just pee out anything they don't need.

5. Duckfarmer1

Duckfarmer1 Songster

Jul 23, 2019
    Kane,Pa
    This is awesome info you guys. Thank you so much.. now I have to start ordering. I don’t see anyone picking on him. In fact when he came he was sexed as female. Could be but with no quack we decided on Lou. Anyway he was the dominant. But he does go on his own a lot. Through the hay. Or just long walks for bugs. Lol

6. Miss Lydia

Try kitten food it’s usually smaller in size easier to eat. My drake is attached at the hip to his females but my females will venture off on their own bug hunting. So maybe Lou is female. Although should be laying by now too. :idunno

7. Duckfarmer1

Duckfarmer1 Songster

Jul 23, 2019
    Kane,Pa
    Ok so I went to my local feed store and they only had b complex food mixture for horses but he thought it’d be ok.? I decided to wait..when we got home..Lou got stuck in the chicken play yard. They have a big fenced in yard out from the coop..the boards are about 2” apart..we sprinkle scratch in there to keep them busy...Lou got through the boards...chickens don’t like ducks..haws stuck in the corner very scared. Chris found him and didn’t tell me until later when I was looking for him. Lou wasupset today. Didn’t want to eat for me. I didn’t know what to do at night because he was keeping away from the others...so I put him in his own pen with tons of food and probiotics water. I am super worried because Lou always comes when I call his name. And. Always wants food. Ugh

8. Duckfarmer1

Duckfarmer1 Songster

Jul 23, 2019
    Kane,Pa
    On the upside. Chris made the chickens play yard even bigger

9. DuckyDonna

DuckyDonna Free Ranging

Aug 26, 2018
    Dallas, Georgia
    Wow, what a day Lou had! This is what you need to get! Its the same stuff, just a different label. 1ml over something Lou will eat right up like tomatoes, watermelon, mealworms etc. If you have Tractor Supply it's in with the cattle stuff sometimes, at mine its in with all the meds. ASk. IMG_0251.JPG

10. Miss Lydia

Bless his heart, traumatized I bet. How is he this morning?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: