Little Margaret is now...Margarito

beerlady

In the Brooder
Apr 28, 2016
I discovered yesterday that Little Margaret the bantam frizzle (must have the gene only because there ain't much frizzling going on) is actually Margarito el Gallo, after a 4 am wakeup call and lots of expressions of dominance with the other hens. I've made a couple of calls to local 4H clubs offering a free roo, but am wondering what other avenues I can explore. I've got a Craigslist add, and certainly I could take him back to the feed store for them to deal with, but I'd really like to find him a home where he will be loved and not eaten. Any ideas, folks?

Hello! Fellow chicken owner with a hen turned roo. You definitely can't keep him? There are actually a lot of benefits to roosters, otherwise, what you are doing is the right path. Have you tryed looking up farm animal sanctuaries? You may have to pay a fee to get one of many unwanted roosters in, but you definitely know he isn't going to be eaten, and many live to ripe ages under care of sanctuaries. Good luck, hope I helped at all xx

Hi Sky,

I recognize the benefits and would love to keep him especially since we live in the desert with lots of predators, but neighbors aren't far away and the noise is a serious concern. It seems like there's a glut of roosters at the local sanctuaries, so hopefully a spot becomes available.

Have you heard of rooster collars? They hit the throat on a spot that quiets sound while not chocking them. Supposedly, it makes the sound the same decibel as a hen's clucking. I have no experience with them though, so researching may be a good idea.

I saw a video on that yesterday. It's an option if all else fails, at lest until we move and end up in a place that doesn't allow roosters.

Back
Top Bottom