Little Mini Surprise this morning. Happy Valentine! *Update Pics*

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by CountryMom, Feb 12, 2009.

1. CountryMom

CountryMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2008
    South Texas
    Woke up this morning to cold temps of 35 degrees. And checked on everyone early. Well by 8 am I spotted something extra out my back window. Mama was laying down and baby was standing up for the first time. I have foaled out for years, but this one surprised the heck outa me! We have been checking for signs and finally last night got some clear milk. It was a bit sticky and nothing that indicated foal was coming within hours. Usually you see white milk or even signs of waxing before the white milk. Anyhow, this little one is a filly and she is from my daughter's little mini who came to us for training. We kept her to foal her out and well, that has happened! The kids have already named her Valentine even though she is a bit early. Owner stopped by and was amazed at how small. The filly stands only 21 inches tall. Actually a bit bigger than some I have read about, but still tiny. We will deliver her home next week once filly is stable enough to ride.
    Mama and baby... Mama still a bit sore and cramping from foaling.
    [​IMG]

Baby face... she is solid sorrel from a bay Daddy and a Pinto Mama.
    [​IMG]

I will try to get better pictures later when they are not resting. Had enough excitement for the morning. LOL Have to head to town for supplies and groceries.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2009
  2. thechickenchick

thechickenchick Born city, Living country

Mar 8, 2008
    Eaton, Colorado
    Thats a very pretty and sweet surprise! Congrats! [​IMG]

3. bheila

bheila Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2008
    Kent, Wa
    Too cute! We have a customer that has 45 minis and everytime they have foals we go visit. They are so tiny!

4. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    I wish you and your family an early

HAPPY VALENTINE'S DAY! [​IMG]

5. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    So CUTE!!! (can you get some better shots of the filly's legs, showing how the socks are marked? Inquiring minds want to know.) [​IMG]

6. redoak

redoak Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Russia, NY
    Congrats [​IMG]

7. crtrlovr

crtrlovr Still chillin' with my peeps

how precious! congrats on your mini!

8. CountryMom

CountryMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2008
    South Texas
    Thanx! She is a doll for sure! [​IMG] Even my 7 yr old son can pick her up and hold her. She is very light.

I will try to get more shots of her legs a little later, onthespot. Actually she has no socks - it is baby light hairs that foals are born with. At the base of all that light coloring is sorrel. Plus her hooves are dark. She has a few stray white hairs on her forehead where you would find a star type marking usually. Her owner and I checked her over from top to bottom and couldn't find any more white. The owner is my best friend so we will enjoy watching her grow up some. At least until she makes a decision to sell her or not. LOL Her Mama is a doll so we hope she has that same temperment.

9. TMNTCkins

TMNTCkins Chillin' With My Peeps

:)Soo Cute!!

Last edited: Feb 12, 2009
  10. Farmer Kitty

Farmer Kitty Flock Mistress

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    AHHH, what a lovely surprise!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by