Little Miss Grumpy Buns

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by AngieChick, Oct 20, 2008.

1. AngieChick

AngieChick Poultry Elitist

What was once one of my sweetest girls (Laurie) has suddenly turned Evil! When any of the other girls gets near her, she turns and pecks at them, she will even chase them around the yard just to make sure they get the point. Okay, so she was always 2nd in command, but she never acted like she felt like she had something to prove. She's around 18 weeks, and her comb and wattles are getting deeper and brighter. Maybe she is getting ready to lay? Her sister (Annie) seems to have gone through a personality change as well. She used to be more standoffish, but now she can't get enough snuggles.

If Laurie is being a brat because she is approaching laying, I hope she drops the 'tude with the egg! Sheesh!

Here she is looking coy, but don't believer her. Right after I took this she went after one of the other pullets that was just minding her own business, pecking at the dirt. Bad bad chicken.

[​IMG]

Evil Eye

[​IMG]

Her sister Annie

[​IMG]

Oh yes, and both are Red Sex-links

Last edited: Oct 20, 2008
  2. the1much

the1much Currently Birdless Hippy

getting close to laying,, and SHE is boss, and wants EVERYONE to NOT forget it,, and ya figure she's eating for 2 now, hehe [​IMG]

3. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    She may be getting ready to lay. Mine were real crabby for a week or two when they first starter laying. They got over it.

4. AngieChick

AngieChick Poultry Elitist

Thanks for the feedback, it's good to know that she will likely come back over from the dark side. I was worried I'd have to take back all the good things I've said about red sex links, "docile" pah!

Last edited: Oct 20, 2008
  5. the simple life

the simple life Chillin' With My Peeps

Its funny because one of my nicest girls, a speckled sussex has been acting like a lunatic all week.
    I was just saying to my husband that I wonder if its because she is getting to lay or not.
    My other girls that lay are all black sex links and have always been insane so I have nothing to compare her to.
    Mine is 20 weeks so I hope this is the same thing and not her new personality.
    Lets keep our fingers crossed that they all mellow out again.
    Your girls are pretty, I like their color.

6. smom1976

smom1976 too many projects too little time!

May 2, 2008
    Pensacola, FL
    I just posted another post about mean chickens.. (non rooster type) my problem girl is a black sex link.. she is still very friendly to me comes around but so does everyone else and when everyone gets near me too she pecks them all..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by