Little Miss Home Body!?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by vfem, Sep 3, 2009.

1. vfem

vfem Yoga...The Chicken Pose

Aug 4, 2008
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    I've got this one 17 week old GORGEOUS white silkie who is one sweet cuddle baby. Who doesn't like her run, and I have to put her out to free range... where she will NEVER stay out more then 30 minutes before she goes home.

She stays in that coop all happy and content ALL DAY LONG?!

She'll hop up in her window and just watch the others walk around.

I'll take her out on my lap, and she's good... for a few.... then hops down when I'm done giving her treats and petting her to go back in her coop.

Why is she so obsessed with staying IN the coop?!

Do you think something could have done this?!

I hatched her here actually, so I didn't bring her from anywhere else... she was born and raised in that coop with all the same chickens I have now. I haven't introduced any new birds.

2. nature nut

nature nut Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2009
    Southeast Louisiana
    We got two older hens recently and I have had to get them out of the henhouse after lunch sometimes because they haven't come out for the day yet. They aren't scared of anything because they are in a fully enclosed run and they are the queens of the flock because my other 2 girls are just young pullets. I think they are just comfy. They free range a few hours every day and the whole time they go in and out of the run. One goes back to bed way before dark and if I put off scooping the poop until later in the afternoon she will walk up and down the ramp giving me the stinkeye like she's saying "what the heck are you doing , hurry up!"

So I guess yours could either just like the house a lot too, or something might have scared her, or she could be timid and low on the pecking order.

3. vfem

Aug 4, 2008
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    I really don't know... I tried to let them all out this morning, and gave her the boot out into the yard. She's already back in the coop.

Even if I throw treats in the run she won't go for anything unless I pick her up and put her there. Its just so sad. [​IMG]

I am so going to breed her when she's old enough, she a few weeks away from laying age anyways... come spring I have to seperate her and pick out a rooster. I will feel horrible if I take her away from that coop the way she acts about it though.

4. bayouchica

bayouchica Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2007
    N.E. Louisiana
    Are her feathers in her eyes? Maybe she's having trouble seeing.

I have some Polish that stayed around to coop until they started getting regular "hair cuts",now they are running all over the place.

5. vfem

Aug 4, 2008
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    Its really not that bad, I'm hoping her poof gets much bigger actually! (Also hope she is a she!)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by