Little Mourning Dove!

Ivygrad

Hatching
5 Years
Apr 10, 2014
~~This is the first link I found when I Googled "raise mourning doves" so I decided to join. I live in an apt building with a terrace where I keep some plants in pots. I have a small tree in a pot and a mourning dove made her nest there. I saw 2 small eggs! But one of them was I guess stillborn; the other one thrived. However I haven't seen either of the two adults for about 2 days ... the baby is left alone! I had some sesame seeds so I left them near him (or her?) and put some water in a small ramekin. What should I do? I don't want to see him perish. I love animals and will break my heart if he doesn't survive. What's the best kind of food? Will he learn how to fly without his parent? I hope the prognosis is good ... Any help you all can give is most appreciated! Thank you! IG

Handfeeding especially for the first time is a very demanding and hard task, but after some experience it's a bit easier. I have never raised or fed a dove before ( I did hand raise finches for a few years), but I would suggest feeding warm Kaytee Exact Hand Feeding formula mix to the hatched chick. And if you are sure the parents won't come back take the little chick inside and provide heat to them ( not sure of exact heat for doves). Also, don't feed water to baby wild birds, it may get into their lungs and they will die! I usually let my finches decide when to start drinking water. Learning to fly is natural for birds, so don't worry, he will know how to fly when the time comes. :)

I would suggest searching online too for more info, here's a site I found that will help: www.diamonddove.info/bird13%20Mourning.htmwww.diamonddove.info/bird13%20Mourning.htm

If you decide to raise the chick yourself, good luck!:D

When the chick is older.....the parents rarely are with it on the nest... they are too busy finding food for it.

It will be fed only a few times in the day.

It is unlikely its been abandoned by the parents. Even if one was killed by a predator the other one will carry on feeding the chick.

You can tell if it still being fed by gently feeling the area where its crop is. This is on its upper chest. If it feels like a little ball then there is food in there so its still being fed.

The best time to see if the parents are still coming back is at night. You may see one of the parents sitting in the nest with the chick.

It may be that they are made a new nest and the female is on 2 more eggs in a different place. They do this before the older chicks have fledged.

Good news! I saw one, maybe 2 adults return to the terrace. I suppose they were out getting food for the lil' un and/or maybe making another nest for next crew!

Lil' un is so sweet. I am feeding some crushed up cereal in a ramekin to see if he eats it. I can't tell if he ate the food I gave him yesterday as it has been mixed into the potting soil.

Thanks for all the responses ... will keep you all posted!

IG

Back
Top Bottom