Little ones/Raising Chicks

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Notebook, Aug 8, 2013.

1. Notebook

Notebook Out Of The Brooder

May 1, 2013
    I have a concern. I recently got 6 silkie chicks from a breeder, a woman Id gotten healthy birds from before. One of them kept flipping over, and eventually died. Then the other one did the same thing. And a third one died, mysteriously a few days later. How am I to be sure there is not disease here? The little ones were treated for cocci, and act completely normal. No lethargy or anything. Im worried about introducing them to my flock later on to find out there is disease. The third one that died had pasty butt that I didnt realize, is it comomon to lose this many young chicks? I appreciate any feedback.

2. Whittni

Whittni Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Southern Utah
    I've heard flipping over in young chicks is usually caused by deformities. Call your breeder and ask if she has anyone else with these problems or if you just got a few duds. See what she says and keep the forum posted.

3. ten chicks

ten chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    No, it is not common. How long did you treat for Cocci,what did you treat with and what dose did you use.? No vitamins were given during treatment(cannot give any vitamins during cocci treatment,interferes with the ability of medication to work). Pasty butt can kill chicks if left untreated. Try adding warm water to feed,chicks love this and is easier for frail/small chicks to eat,all my silkie babies loved this when chicks,and still do.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2013
  4. Notebook

May 1, 2013
    I treated with Corid liquid, 3.7ml per gallon jug. I treated for 5 days. I knew pasty butt could cause death, but the little one was so fluffy he died before I saw it. The first one that died was scrawny, and the next one who flipped over several times before he died looked normal. We kept turning him over but we just kept finding him upsidedown. I have two started ones about 3 weeks old in quarantine who also came from this breeder that I am afraid to introduce to my other older chicks until I figure out what this is.. What should I be on the look out for? Is there a way I can rule out certain things?

5. ten chicks

ten chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    Incorrect dose. Dose for Corid 9.6% liquid is 2 tsp(actual 1.93 tsp) per gallon of water. One tsp is 5ml,you have not been giving enough amprolium.

6. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    How old were these chicks, and did you have cocci or were you giving the med as a preventative? Flipping over can be a sign of stress before they die. I watched some chicks this year at a feed store do this, and the clerk said that the post office had forgotten about them all day in a cold back room before delivering them. This was the next day that they started dying.

7. Notebook

May 1, 2013
    I was treating for cocci because I found a little blood in the stool of the older chick they'd crossed contaminated with. I will change the dose, thank you.

8. Notebook

May 1, 2013
    Update - I have found more chicks with pasty butt and been able to clean them before anything happened. Luckily I havent had any more rolling over on their backs, I was told silkies are born with their skulls in two pieces, and that possible brain damage was the culprit of their rolling over. I think I have things handled. I appreciate all of your feedback [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by