Little over 2 WK OLD SILKIES LOSING FEATHERS

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by dianer29, Sep 12, 2009.

1. dianer29

dianer29 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2009
    I am concerned ,as of yesterday I found several thin longish feathers in the brooder, They seem blackish . I do have 2 black Silkies in there and they are a wee bit larger thn most of the rest of them. I see all are preening and I need for someone to advise me on what is going on. Brooder is currently 85 degrees as advised . I am in Tropical type climate/Hawaii. I know it is supposed to be a 5 degree decrease each week.They were hatched out on Sept 24th and I received them the 27th.
    I tried the yogurt today and not good results I will retry next time perhaps mixed with their chickstarter.
    How may I help them if I need to take any action at all?

2. insiderart

insiderart Obviously Insane

Apr 30, 2009
    Arkansas
    I think it's just time for them to start getting their feathers in. Maybe you are just seeing the pinfeathers or some of the fluff coming off?

3. insiderart

Apr 30, 2009
    Arkansas
    Oh and a photo would be great, so we can see what you are seeing.

4. dianer29

Aug 31, 2009
    It looks like pin feathers. So early ? Is this the norm. I worry about them and I watch over them and clean them off if poop is on feet or of course bottoms. I know I might be over reacting. You have to realise I am in love with them all:) Sorry no camera .

Last edited: Sep 12, 2009
  5. insiderart

Apr 30, 2009
    Arkansas
    My little week old is getting her pinfeathers right now. DD thought her tail was bleeding! Her pinfeathers are a disconcerting color of pink/red and she is yellow. Hold on and I'll take a photo to show you.

6. insiderart

Apr 30, 2009
    Arkansas
    Ok I just looked it up, Buffy is 2 weeks old tomorrow! Wow how time flies, I thought she was only a week old! She is a silkie too.

[​IMG]

7. dianer29

Aug 31, 2009
    There is much joy and much worry in raising the chicks . They rely on me and I will do whatever it takes to see them healthy and happy.
    It would break my heart if I did not give it my all and then some........... Thank you for your advice .BYW do you have any idea how long this process will be?

Last edited: Sep 12, 2009
  8. insiderart

Apr 30, 2009
    Arkansas
    They're not really fully feathered until about 6 weeks or so.

9. gottalovemychickens

gottalovemychickens SaveAChickenRideACowboy

yeah i would say thats pin feathers , thats normal , Mine are 2 weeks old right now (Black Australorps) and they are doing the same thing dont worry its ok !!! Wanna see my pics and compare so ya know ?

10. dianer29

Aug 31, 2009
    E: Yes please.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by