little pullet with the loudest vocalizations

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by omi4500, Aug 12, 2014.

1. omi4500

omi4500 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 3, 2014
    Wasn't quite sure what forum section to jump into, but I figured "behavior" was a good place to start. :) If I'm cackling up the wrong roost, just let me know! Ha - I crack myself up.

Anyhooo... to recap, I have 5 pullets. All about 15 weeks old now. One is a Welsummer - and from a very young age she has been my most vocal by far. I feel like she can wake the dead with her long, LOUD, drawn out "bwaaaaaaaaaawk!" She doesn't vocalize all day long but she always makes her loud, long bwawk calls when I approach the coop - and she often continues to do so while I'm in the coop feeding or cleaning. My other chickens cluck and peep and occasionally honk (eee! so cute!), but none of the other 4 sound off like my Wellie. It doesn't sound like a happy noise - but I'm new to chickens & don't consider myself "fluent in chicken" yet.

Is this a Welsummer trait? Or just something quirky about this particular girl? She does happen to be my most skittish and least social pullet (although she was hand raised with and like the other 4). I often worry that she's unhappy... but she will still come take treats from me (warily).

When I'm out with them at 630am I'm literally afraid she will wake the neighbors, if she's not waking the dead! Can't even imagine how vocal her egg song might be once she starts. :) Thanks for any feedback! ~Liz

2. My guess would be that she is saying to the other hens "Hey, here comes that crazy person again!" [​IMG]

Each chicken also has it's own distinct voice. It's probably just that particular hen and not the breed.

3. omi4500

Mar 3, 2014
    Quote: ahhh...you're probably not too far off with the truth on that one, Bantam Lover! Hubby thinks I've gone to the birds, too. [​IMG]

4. Haha! Aren't we all crazy for chickens? [​IMG]

5. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    X 2 - gotta love the loudmouths (I am *lucky* enough to have two in my flock at the moment, lol)

OP - love your avatar - the floppy ear stage is my favorite with GSDs

6. omi4500

Mar 3, 2014
    Bantam Lover - I was hooked with the crazies from Day 1 when I brought my one-week old peeps home!

Ol Grey Mare - that's one of my faves pics of my "puppy" ... he will be 12 this October. I also happen to be crazy about GSDs! [​IMG]

*edited for dern typos

Last edited: Aug 13, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by