Little Quirks. :)

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by elizabethbinary, Jan 1, 2011.

1. elizabethbinary

elizabethbinary Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    I was organizing the nests in the backyard with some new straw and as I was building them I said to my husband, "No no no you can't just PUT it in, you need to make a well and make sure yo get all the straw up the back nicely because they like to lay in boxes that are soft in the back."

And I got the weirdest look ever.

I told him I was certain other people knew these things about their hens and I WASN'T insane for knowing it. So now I have to post this so I don't feel insane.

What do your hens like/want in order to lay for you?

2. Wisher1000

Wisher1000 Bama Biddy

My hens take paper into the nest boxes. Receipts, bits of feed bags, and of course feathers. I have also watched as one of my hens would pick up a piece of hay and place it on her back then pick up another and do the same, over and over until she laid an egg then she walked out and never looked back. They're weird!

3. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    You have got to make a well!, and they MUST be soft in the back or the hens will go on strike.[​IMG] Honestly, that's not weird at all.[​IMG]

4. buzymom13

buzymom13 I run the Alien Chicken Asylum

Apr 20, 2010
    [​IMG] Now see that seems completely normal to ME. I get the same looks from my husband usually along with shaking of the head and saying something like, "Ok I don't believe you said that..."

It's nice that I've found such an "enabling" website and can know that I'm "completely normal" like the rest of my BYC'er friends/family.

[​IMG]

5. hallerlake

hallerlake Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2010
    Seattle
    I'll admit I just make sure there are plenty of shavings, and let the girls arrange them however they want.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by