Little Rant

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by Nupine, Jan 20, 2010.

1. Nupine

Nupine Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2007
    Ohio
    I am homeschooled, and do an online school. I am trying to do an English lesson right now. It is on persuasive paragraphs. I have to write [type] a rough draft and then revise and revise and then write the final draft. I don't know if it is just me, but I don't see a huge point in doing that. I always write the rough draft, then copy and paste it like 3 times for the others, and it sounds good, no typo's etc. That is not my main rant. They choose what your topic is, also for the next three lessons on different kinds of paragraphs, here they are-
    -Write a persuasive paragraph on why semester exams aren't necessary-Huh? I don't even really know what those are, and I certainly don't take them. Why are they so bad? If it is simply a big test at the end of each semester, what is so awful about seeing if students are actually paying attention in class?
    -Write a descriptive paragraph telling your friends about virtual school-Almost all my friends also do virtual school, and it isn't that fantastic and it really is a lot like regular school.
    -Write a narrative paragraph about your first day of high school-Wow. I don't go to high school. My first day of ''high school'' I got up, got ready for the day, took care of animals, turned on the computer, connected to the internet, logged on to my schools website, and did school. They should know that!
    -Write an expository paragraph about your favorite television show-Really? That sounds a little 2nd grade. I don't really watch that much tv, and I don't have a favorite show. It isn't like half my life. [​IMG]
    Am I weird, or are these questions weird? Why can't they just let me be creative and write some wacky paragraph about creepy people staring at me in prisons or describing one of my dreams or about something on our farm? Why?
    Ashlyn

2. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    They are trying to make you think.

You can't always write about or do what you want so this looks like an exercise in thinking outside of the box.

Also writing about things that don't interest you help to expand your mind and your world.

3. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    BS it. The computer doesn't know how you started your day. Make it into something fun!

4. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

It is forced, but as terrielacy said, it's forcing you to exercise your brain. Most real life situations involve guidelines or constraints, and you have to learn to use your individual creativity in a way that fits within these boundaries AND gets the job done (whatever that may be). I don't care for the first prompt however; I think it should give you a choice...why are they/aren't they necessary...
    I think the narrative of your first day of school could be fun, because your day is so atypical...

5. ruth

ruth Life is a Journey

Jul 8, 2007
    Woodville, MS
    Quote:The stories/paragraphs don't have to be true. In fact, it's better if you make up something creative and imaginative. The purpose of English is to teach you the different types of writing - persuasive; descriptive; narrative; and expository. So, by all means, get creative and write "some wacky paragraph about creepy people staring at me in prisons or describing one of my dreams or about something on our farm". You'll encounter the same type of exercises if you take a speech class.

Here's a little example I remember from a paper my daughter had written for English class when given the same assignment. I always proofed their work the night before. In any event her descriptive story, in first draft, involved something along the lines of "I walked to the pond......I ate a grape......" leaving out all detail and description. So I promted her by saying "when you walked to the pond, did you walk slowly or quickly, what was the weather like, what did you see along the way.......when you ate the grape, what color was it, was it sweet or sour, did the juice squirt from your mouth, did you spit out the seeds....." She quickly caught on and went on to not only write a paper that got an A but got a personal note from the teacher about it being one of the best papers he/she had ever read. And, no I did not write one word of it - I never would do their homework - I just suggested what a descriptive paper would be looking for - descriptions.

In another case - my son had to write a similar paper. The title was "What to do about pesky neighbors." My son wrote an excellent paper that I didn't have to suggest a single thing - in fact, I didn't see it till after he brought it home with his "A" (I was out of town). To this day we still talk about it and I'm sure his teacher does as well. What was so "special" about it......well.....it went something along the lines of how to kill them and then hide their body parts in various places, like the recessed ceiling titles. I'm sure to this day his teacher thinks he's "weird". He is an excellent writer and poet to this day and has always had the best imagination. Of course, in today's world, and fear and phobia and zero tolerance I guess he would have gotten an "F" and gotten arrested but the paper was really so hilarious the way he wrote it that it had everyone laughing out loud.

Good luck.

6. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Quote:Actually, I think that it would be better by far to ask for a paragraph on why semester exams are good, and another on why they are bad. To force the student to research, think and evaluate both sides of an issue. If you don't take end of semester exams, then you have the opportunity to learn a bit about them. Anyways, the point of a persuasive paper is to persuade someone to your point of view.

For the descriptive paragraph, you are taking the audience definition too literally. The paper defines the audience in general, and yes, the audience could be close friends, but it could also be other teenagers who do not do an online school, or their parents who may be considering options.

As for the descriptive paragraph, you do do high school; however it is not in the traditional setting, so play up the differences. I do not think the teacher wants fiction.

For the expository paragraph, begin by stating that you watch little television, and then go on to write about something you do or that you do watch (movies, chickens, etc.)

Ruth,I like how you prompted your daughter to expound.

7. ruth

ruth Life is a Journey

Jul 8, 2007
    Woodville, MS
    Quote:Well.....did you know that 83.7% of all prisoners are there because of semester exams? Yes, that's correct. The stress of cramming for those exams put them there. Started innocently enough - staying up all night, drinking Red Bull, chewing coffee beans just to cram in all 15 chapters for that one all inclusive test. But soon the Red Bull and coffee beans aren't enough and they turn to stealing drugs from their parents' medicine cabinets. It's not too long after that they are buying/selling hard core drugs on the street. And, well, unfortunately, their life of drugs led to crime to support their habit. It's sad to look around the classroom at all the little Timmy's and David's and wonder who will end up on death row just because of the never-ending, annual semester exams. Every time I see those prisoners staring at me from their prison cells I wonder if they still remember the chart that was on page 40 of chapter 10 of that science book.......

8. chocolate m'scovy

chocolate m'scovy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2010
    Homeschooling- way to go! If the essays are too out-of-place with your environment you can always ask your mom (if she is your teacher) for a suitable substitute! About the "first day of school" just write, honestly, about your first day of school! That's what I did for my home-schooled essays!

9. Nupine

Nupine Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2007
    Ohio
    Quote:Well.....did you know that 83.7% of all prisoners are there because of semester exams? Yes, that's correct. The stress of cramming for those exams put them there. Started innocently enough - staying up all night, drinking Red Bull, chewing coffee beans just to cram in all 15 chapters for that one all inclusive test. But soon the Red Bull and coffee beans aren't enough and they turn to stealing drugs from their parents' medicine cabinets. It's not too long after that they are buying/selling hard core drugs on the street. And, well, unfortunately, their life of drugs led to crime to support their habit. It's sad to look around the classroom at all the little Timmy's and David's and wonder who will end up on death row just because of the never-ending, annual semester exams. Every time I see those prisoners staring at me from their prison cells I wonder if they still remember the chart that was on page 40 of chapter 10 of that science book.......

OMG Ruth, that is absolutely incredible! Hilarious! I wish I had that kind of imagination. You should have some funny blog, or better yet a TV show. My teacher just said I could do it on whatever, but I will just do it on semester exams. Thanks everyone!
    Ashlyn

10. ruth

ruth Life is a Journey

Jul 8, 2007
    Woodville, MS
    Glad you liked it. I was giving you a "hint" as to how you could write about the prisoners you wanted to write about and the semester exams the topic called for, and, be creative in the process. Feel free to "borrow" from it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by