Little Red Barn coop & run! LOTS of pictures!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by sunshyn225, Jun 24, 2011.

1. sunshyn225

sunshyn225 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 18, 2011
    DH started building this coop for me 3 months ago and there are still just a few things left to finish on it such as remove the strapping from the roof (we have high winds here on the SW shore of NS!) and possibly tar the shingles, finish painting the front deck, add poop boards, add a few more vents for this winter and put white trim around the corners to finish the 'barn' look. [​IMG]

It's 6'x6' with 3 nest boxes and houses 8 BLRW's that are almost 13 weeks old now. Unfortunately I ended up with 6 roo's and 2 hens.... so I'll be selling and replacing some of them very soon. [​IMG]

Anyway, on to the pics!!

[​IMG]

Windows closed! Notice the heart that keeps the window shut at night. [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The run - need to put some perches in there soon.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The inside after cleaning it yesterday - ahh... fresh shavings! [​IMG] Both roosts (there's one on the left as well) and the ladder are removable for cleaning!

[​IMG]

Some of the residents

[​IMG]

Thanks for looking!! [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. This_chicks_place

This_chicks_place Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2011
    Upstate NY
    Ahh so pretty! I really want to find some BLRW's, they are so beautiful!

3. bryan99705

bryan99705 Chillin' With My Peeps

Looks great. If high winds are a issue, why not run a couple cables over the roof and attach them to ground anchors to insure the coop stays upright if there is a surprise storm?

4. AlienChick

AlienChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Glasgow, KY
    Wow! Nice set up!

You *may* want to also think about putting hardwire cloth around the bottom of your run IF you think you may have some predators like raccoons or something.

I'm thinking about putting a run together like this for when I have to be away for a day or two.
    [​IMG]

5. sunshyn225

Mar 18, 2011
    Quote:Where the coop is located, it's protected from the wind by the trees so I can't see it getting blown over, especially with the way that the entire base sits down in the blocks the way it does. I have an 8 foot high greenhouse that sits almost directly beside it and have never had any trouble with it yet.

Very good idea though! Thanks!

6. sunshyn225

Mar 18, 2011
    Quote:Thank you! [​IMG]

The guys and gals are locked inside the coop every night before dark and are only let outside during the day when we are home. Plus DH and I are big time hunters as well as several of our friends that will be trapping on our land this fall/winter, so fingers crossed we won't have any trouble with predators! [​IMG]

7. savingpurple

savingpurple Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2011
    NW Ohio
    Very nice!! Looks similiar to mine [​IMG]

8. silkie101

silkie101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2011
    Plantcity Florida
    hi i have an idea so you wont have to sell / replace any of your roosters or hens you can split up the coop and the run so you can have one side for hens and one side for roosters hope this helps [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by