Little red being chased from food and water

Sharon2012

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jul 15, 2012
Southeast Tennessee
I have ten chickens. The last ones added were October first. Didn't have too many problems until three weeks ago suddenly seven are chasing poor little red from the food and water all the time. She stopped laying and spends a lot of time up on the roost because of this. I've put food and water in multiple locations and even stood guard so she can eat. Any ideas on why this is happening and what to do about it.

Perhaps she has an underlying illness or pest problem and the flock sees her as a threat to their well being. Or, she could just be at the very bottom of the pecking order. I would provide another feed and water station if you can. That way if she gets chased off of one, she can go to another. You may also want to give her a good once over to see if she has any wounds or creepy crawlies.
Good luck.

Checked for creepy crawlies and none I can see. Got three food and three water stations already. Funny thing is at night they all huddle up on either side of her on the roost.

An update on this. Little red holed up in a feeder and wasn't allowed by the others to get water. I've taken her from the coop and put her in a medium sized crate next to the coop where they can see her and she can see them. She's eating and drinking water like it's going out of style. The ones in the coop and run act like they want to attack her. She's nervous and won't let me get close. She goes to a far corner when I put food and water where she can get them.

Back
Top Bottom