Little Roo and His Adopted Chick

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by abbey808, Nov 6, 2011.

1. abbey808

abbey808 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2011
    Hawaii
    I had wanted to share pictures of Brie (10 week old roo) and his adopted chick Brooke. I found Brooke abandoned in our yard. I don't think she was more than a day or two old. Brie immediately took to her and started taking care of her like a mother hen. He feeds her, sits on her to keep her warm and is extremely protective of her. Is it usual for a young roo to have such strong maternal instincts?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Dowie

Dowie Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    What an amazing rooster! [​IMG] Keep updating us with their story please! [​IMG]

3. abbey808

Jun 30, 2011
    Hawaii
    He is so sweet with her. He is mommy in her eyes. I found a picture of him sitting on her in their carrier. So cute! [​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    Adorable!

5. dwegg

dwegg Chillin' With My Peeps

Thank you this has made my morning...I am so proud of him!

I must say it very strange to just find a baby chick in your yard? Any other chickens around?

6. simplysophie

simplysophie Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 16, 2011
    So cute!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

7. ladychicken&Ducklover

ladychicken&Ducklover Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2011
    Champion, Michigan
    What an Adorable couple!

I have 2 Roos.

One is a 6 month old White crested Black Polish who has 4 hens of different species in " His " flock .

He is soooo very protective of his girls and is such a sweet boy!

My other Roo is a Salmon Favorelles. He has just 1 hen as a mate; a Partdridge Rock.

He isn't as high strung as my Polish Roo , but is HUGE, so I think just his size is intimidating enough.

The young chick in your pic almost looks like my SF when he was a day or two old!

Do you know if the baby is a Roo or hen ?

SF are easy to determine if they are boys or girls at hatch.

I was just wondering , wouldn't that be something if it , too was a boy. ?

No, it's not uncommon for. A Roo to become maternal and at an early age.

My Polish was acting like momma and Roo when he was only a few days old!!

It was so cute.

Anyway, keep us informed !!!

8. abbey808

Jun 30, 2011
    Hawaii
    Quote:I live in Hawaii and there are a lot of feral game chickens running around in the wooded area behind our home. The hens occasionally bring their little ones through our yard looking for food. Once in a while a baby will get separated from their mother and get left behind. Sometimes I am able to find the mother and return them and other times I can't. I end up raising the babies when I can't find mom. Brie is also an adopted chick that I found left in our yard. I thought he was a pullet for the longest time (hence the girly name, lol), then all of a sudden he starting growing a huge red comb and wattles. He first crowed at five weeks old and that pretty much confirmed it. He is an affectionate boy that follows me around the yard and waits for me to sit down so he can hop onto my lap for some snuggles. [​IMG]

I have never had a rooster before, my other feather babies are pullets. I hope that Brie retains his affectionate and caring personality as he grows older. I would love for him to eventually join the rest of the flock. I think he'd make a great future husband to my eight girls. [​IMG]

9. abbey808

Jun 30, 2011
    Hawaii
    ladychicken&Ducklover :

What an Adorable couple!

I have 2 Roos.

One is a 6 month old White crested Black Polish who has 4 hens of different species in " His " flock .

He is soooo very protective of his girls and is such a sweet boy!

My other Roo is a Salmon Favorelles. He has just 1 hen as a mate; a Partdridge Rock.

He isn't as high strung as my Polish Roo , but is HUGE, so I think just his size is intimidating enough.

The young chick in your pic almost looks like my SF when he was a day or two old!

Do you know if the baby is a Roo or hen ?

SF are easy to determine if they are boys or girls at hatch.

I was just wondering , wouldn't that be something if it , too was a boy. ?

No, it's not uncommon for. A Roo to become maternal and at an early age.

My Polish was acting like momma and Roo when he was only a few days old!!

It was so cute.

Anyway, keep us informed !!!

There are so many game chickens running around here that it is almost impossible to guess on lineage. I am not very familiar with the different game breeds, but maybe someone out there might have an idea on what these two are?

Brie as a baby...
    [​IMG]

Baby Brooke... she was so tiny when I found her...
    [​IMG]

Their most recent photo taken a few days ago... they've grown [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. dwegg

dwegg Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:I live in Hawaii and there are a lot of feral game chickens running around in the wooded area behind our home. The hens occasionally bring their little ones through our yard looking for food. Once in a while a baby will get separated from their mother and get left behind. Sometimes I am able to find the mother and return them and other times I can't. I end up raising the babies when I can't find mom. Brie is also an adopted chick that I found left in our yard. I thought he was a pullet for the longest time (hence the girly name, lol), then all of a sudden he starting growing a huge red comb and wattles. He first crowed at five weeks old and that pretty much confirmed it. He is an affectionate boy that follows me around the yard and waits for me to sit down so he can hop onto my lap for some snuggles. [​IMG]

I have never had a rooster before, my other feather babies are pullets. I hope that Brie retains his affectionate and caring personality as he grows older. I would love for him to eventually join the rest of the flock. I think he'd make a great future husband to my eight girls. [​IMG]

that is awesome...love it....and i'm sorry you have to live in Hawaii... [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by