1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Little Roo protecting his Girls..

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by LilBizzy, Aug 11, 2008.

1. LilBizzy

LilBizzy Chicken Storyteller

May 20, 2008
    Maryland
    We have 4 "big girls"( 20 week old RSL's) and then we have our 11 "babies"(12 week old RIR's) Our Little ones are housed together, but have formed 2 groups because we got them at seperate times. Theres the 6 pack hoodlums, and the 5 leftovers.
    In the leftover group, there is a little roo. I call him my little WeeMan Roo, because he is smaller than the others- but Ive already seen him grabbing at the girls necks.
    Anyway, yesterday, they were all running amuck as usual. The Big Girls were off in the 1 neighbors yard, and the 6-pack were scattered about the other neighbors yard. I was busy clearing more brush and heard this AWFUL noise. Well, it turns out the 3rd neighbor was babysitting a dog, and the dog saw the chickens, and pulled the tie-out stake out of the ground and was heading for a chicken dinner.
    I all happened so fast, and neighbor got the dog real quick. All I saw was my little WeeMan roo standing as tall as he could get squawking his lil head off. The 4 little girls had run off and hid, and the little man was yelling at the dog.
    Then when the dog was safely inside, the little roo went and found his girls, and brought them out of hiding.

I really thought it was totally cute. ( Even thought I dont like chickens LOL)

2. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    He'll grow up to be a good roo, keep him around.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by