Little roo thinks he is champion

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ozark hen, Nov 19, 2007.

1. ozark hen

ozark hen Living My Dream

Apr 4, 2007
    Mansfield, MO
    Can someone tell me if this little roo will stop his fighting? I got him Nov. 9 th as a rescue bird who needed a home. He is no bigger than a silkie. He is a silkie mix, his photo below..
    [​IMG]
    I was cleaning out the two coops (rescued birds stay in a separate room)when the little Scrapper managed to get out and through the second coop and out into the garage where he met up with my alpha roo(the white one in pic). He attempted to take my alpha roo on and then one of the giant cochins got into the act. I had a heck of a time separating the three of them. when I did separate them I managed to get the little roo back into his own coop. Anyway, will he always be this aggressive or is it just the breaking period?? I want to be able to turn them loose with the rest of the flock. I hope I have made sense here?

2. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

Oh my! I am so sorry hun...I DO hope they get along. If not, I will totally understand, IF you need to find him another home. I know the chaos that can be, when there are fighting roosters. I have had to make several pens...because of that. Maybe he will settle down, if he gets his little butt kicked! LOL

3. ozark hen

Apr 4, 2007
    Mansfield, MO
    Deb, I have been so worried about him since he is such a little aggressive booger. Cute in a way since he thinks he can take on the whole world but he will get himself killed. I told my dh that we may have to despurr all the roos..three not counting him. Others do not fight at all outside of today. One of the hens got into the Scrapper run this afternoon and all was well with the two others. They are not aggressive at all. he is their alpha and just trying to protect them. But I want all my chickens to be together for their safety and warmth. I will give it a couple more weeks and then we may despurr them in the meantime. Not to worry, we will try everything to get them to one of the flock. [​IMG]

4. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

I think a good old "country rooster butt kickin" is what he needs...to show him he is not the aplha. I dont think it would take much. When he was here, he was in a pen of ALL roosters...there were 5 of them, and they never faught. However, they didn't have the pretty hens around like you have...LOL removing the spurs will give him a chance to get put down to the level he needs to be, and not get hurt too bad. I sure hope he tames down for ya.He is a wonderfull little guy....great personality...just spunky now that he feels " at home"

5. ozark hen

Apr 4, 2007
    Mansfield, MO
    You know, Deb, when I was out putting meds on his feet tonight I really didn't see much of a spur on him. But my alpha has large spurs. I am afraid if I turn him loose he will be killed. Although I could run off the alpha this afternoon and the cochin. If I let him take a "butt whoopin" without being killed he might take his place. His attitude this afternoon though was that HE was the alpha. Too funny since he is so tiny|!! I might try letting him loose in another week or two. I want to be sure he knows to go into the roost at night. I don't want to turn him loose with the others inside the coop for the first time since it will be an enclosed area and they could corner him. This sure is an experience. ha ha he is a cute little guy though, personality plus!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by