1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

little roos, keep or leave???

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by renge, Apr 5, 2011.

1. renge

renge Out Of The Brooder

Apr 4, 2011
    Makati
    i still even didnt get my first chick yet (but coming this week!!) but i am already getting worried about the little roos. am i supposed to keep him or let him leave for good? well, i would be keeping only 3~4 chickens, and according to some of my local friends, they said i should juat have a trio... but then that will cause chicks :| we ccant afford that really... so if i get a roo, when (what age) and how am i suppose to depose him??? thank you!! [​IMG]

2. AlienChick

AlienChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Glasgow, KY
    Post any roos you don't want on CraigsList.

[​IMG]

3. N&MSchroeder

N&MSchroeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2011
    SE Idaho
    If you decide to keep your roo, you won't get chicks unless you let your hen sit on the eggs for 3 weeks and hatch them. What breeds are you getting? [​IMG]

4. renge

renge Out Of The Brooder

Apr 4, 2011
    Makati
    planing to get cochins [​IMG] and i friend will drop me a mystery chick this week from her father's farm! i cant wait what she will turn out to be >.<

5. N&MSchroeder

N&MSchroeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2011
    SE Idaho
    Good Luck and have fun with your chicks! [​IMG]

6. FuzzyButtsFarm

FuzzyButtsFarm Rest in Peace 1950-2013

If you want to keep a roo you need at least 6 hens or he will breed the hens to a frazzle. A roo is not needed for egg production. They will lay regardless. Have fun with your new chicks. [​IMG]

7. mother o' chicks72

mother o' chicks72 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2011
    Portland, Oregon
    If you end up with roos keep em!

8. lady feathers

lady feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 29, 2010
    Roos can add so much to a flock, they bring a whole new dynamic- wait and see what you get and their temperment before deciding.... if you don't want craigslist him, or see if your friend's dad wants another. Or you can put him in the freezer!

9. renge

renge Out Of The Brooder

Apr 4, 2011
    Makati
    hahaha:lau so much fun replys [​IMG] i think i will try to keep him, or he will end up in the freezer for sure! :| since my friend's da is like 5 hours away from my place... living in the city (YES! I LIVE IN THE MIDDLE OF A CITY!) it is so hard to look for good chicks and a good place to rehome my unwanted roos D: let me just pray that there wont be any roos, coz i cnat imagine myself or anyone butchering my babies [​IMG] any way, cant wait for my first chcik to arrive... THANK YOU FOR ALL TEHR EPLIES!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by