1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

little rooster keeps collapsing suddenly! help please!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chickenfinatic14, Sep 16, 2011.

1. chickenfinatic14

chickenfinatic14 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 20, 2011
    lincoln
    my little mixed breed rooster (Muffin) recently layed down ALOT. i always thought he was just relaxing. but i picked him up and his legs seemed stuff and shaky. i tried putting him down but he just would lay on the floor. then i put him down again and he could stand up. he ate and drank for a while and preened his feathers. then he collasped down again. he stands up for a while, then collapses with his wings all spread out. Is it a disease? leg condition? he is currently staying in a dog crate in the garage with food and water right in front of him. he is on fresh pine shavings.

2. Hot2Pot

Hot2Pot Fox Hollow Rabbitry

Feb 1, 2010
    West TN
    I don't know what the problem is, maybe someone else knows. Maybe cocci if he is sleeping a lot. Try giving him vitamins, electrolytes and added protein like cooked eggs. That won't hurt no matter what the issue is. Hope he gets better

3. spikennipper

spikennipper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2009
    Kent, UK.
    Hi, how old is your little roo? this could be Mareks [​IMG] symptoms are similar, if he is between 4-6 months old then it could be...this will however be worse case senario, I lost 3 birds to this terrible disease, some birds did not contract it even though they were from the same hatch as some are immune, it is spread by wild birds and is almost impossible to eradicate, you can get a vaccine and at least pray some of the birds are immune already, the vaccine needs to be administered when they are chicks though, once they have it it's too late, it is also not guaranteed to protect against it entirely, just keep the bird seperated and offer nice yummy foods as others have said and see if he improves, fingers crossed.

4. chickenfinatic14

Mar 20, 2011
    lincoln
    Quote:i its definately not cocci. and i do have some corrid just in case. he is 4 minths old. i will give him some eggs. thank you.

5. chickenfinatic14

Mar 20, 2011
    lincoln
    Quote:he is 4 months old. He has always been separated from tge hrns becaude i dont want fertile eggs. if i tok him to the vet, do they gave a vaccine to fight mareks? most of my hens have a mareks vaccination.

6. chickenfinatic14

Mar 20, 2011
    lincoln
    i forgot to mention, his poop is green!

7. Ozchicken

Ozchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2009
    Queensland, Australia
    If he has marek's disease there's no point giving him a vaccine. They usually catch marek's when chicks by breathing in the virus in feather dander. Then a few months later they develop the tumours in the nerves that produce paralysis. If he has this he will need to be euthanised. You can try nursing him and giving him vitamins etc in the hope that it's not marek's, but once you are convinced it is, then it's not good.

8. chickenfinatic14

Mar 20, 2011
    lincoln
    perhaps Rickets?

9. chkn

chkn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    Maybe an ear infection? Some type of antibiotic might help. If he's young, maybe he's vitamin deficient. He could be wormy. You could try a three prong approach.

10. chickenfinatic14

Mar 20, 2011
    lincoln
    Thanks everyone! Turns out, all it was, was a vitamin B deficiency!! [​IMG] I just crushed up vitamin b-12 into a powder, mixed it to his food, and bam, now he is fine! He is up and walking. no more falling or struggling.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by