Little Runt Chick :(

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Eliz, Jul 25, 2008.

1. Eliz

Eliz Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2008
    I have two Orpingtons that are 5 weeks old. Both were the same size when I got them as day olds, both are feathering in at the same rate.

Over the past 5 weeks "Onyx" has become twice the size of "Baby". I have noticed that Onxy will jump up to roost, chairs, ect., but Baby can't or won't. Baby will rather sleep on the ground(Of course I don't let them!) than jump even 3 inchs in the air to get on the ramp to the brooder. I have also noticed that Onyx has been pecking at Baby a little bit.

Could I have gotten a bantam?

If not, should I do something to help it grow some more?

Any help would be great.

2. blessedchickenmama7

blessedchickenmama7 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2008
    Western NC
    Eliz,

I don't have any answers as I recently lost a chick after the exact same symptoms as you describe. Nothing we did helped. But that doesn't mean that will be the case for you. I am sure some folks here will be more help than me. Just know I am thinking about you. I know it hurts your heart to see her maybe feeling badly.

Sonia

3. Eliz

Eliz Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2008
    It eats and drinks really good, but it's just not growing like to other one is [​IMG] And won't jump?

4. blessedchickenmama7

blessedchickenmama7 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2008
    Western NC
    Some of the things folks told me to try:

Eggs in food (cook them first)

Vitamins in water

Antibiotics

Dewormer

Isolate the chick if they are being picked at/on, and also because they could possibly have something contagious.

I was also told to check the crop to see if was hard (mine was not) which would indicate a problem. Also, there was no problem with her vent.

Also, gross question, but does her poop look normal?

Sonia

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by