Little Seabright seems sick..

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by dgeter, May 6, 2009.

1. dgeter

dgeter Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 8, 2008
    Colorado
    My Coop
    I have a new little seabright thats about a week old. I picked her from the feed store because I could tell she was sick and all the other chicks were trampling her.

Anyway, she had the poopy butt and I cleaned it off. She seemed to get better after that but now shes acting weird again. Shes not active like the other chicks and she just lays there panting. Compared to the other chicks her breathing looks too fast and too hard which worries me..

Any ideas of what I can do for the little guy? [​IMG]

2. aidenbaby

aidenbaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    Lochbuie
    Is she drinking? I would make sure to dip her beak in the water a few times every hour to two hours. Where is she laying, directly under the lamp or away from it? Is she eating? How long ago was it that she was pasting up, earlier today or a couple days ago?

3. dgeter

Dec 8, 2008
    Colorado
    My Coop
    2 Days ago I cleaned her poopy butt and it has been fine since. I saw her drinking before and after that. Shes been sleeping directly under the heat lamp and usually in the food dish. I haven't actually seen her eating but her gullet looked full yesterday morning. Today I couldn't see her stomach because she was laying on it.

I'm thinking about leaving work to go check on it.

4. dgeter

Dec 8, 2008
    Colorado
    My Coop
    Okay I just saw her eat a tiny bit and I dipped her beak in the water. Shes acting more weak than before though and she panting harder it seems. I took a video of it but I'm waiting to youtube to approve it so I can post it for you.

5. cochinbantam-lover

cochinbantam-lover Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    Wisconsin
    Quote:That was so sweet saving that little guy! You must be a very nice person!! I would have done the very same thing!! [​IMG] Yaeh I'm a very nice person too! [​IMG] Hope he'll be ok

6. dgeter

Dec 8, 2008
    Colorado
    My Coop
    I got the video!!

We went out to eat and came back and I think the little guy is doing worse! I'm starting to freak out.. its flopped over and panting harder.

7. Year of the Rooster

Year of the Rooster Sebright Savvy

Jun 27, 2008
    West Central Ohio
    IMO, it looks like it's too hot, which would explain the panting, plus it is holding its wings away from its body. It's possible that it may be dehydrated. I've heard putting sugar in the water will give them an energy boost.

8. aberfitch

aberfitch Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2008
    Texas Fort Worth
    either that or something is wrong with the chick that you can not fix. some are just weaker and there is nothing you can do about it. just keep an eye out for the pasty butt. and let it be.
    good luck!

9. dgeter

Dec 8, 2008
    Colorado
    My Coop
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. dgeter

Dec 8, 2008
    Colorado
    My Coop
    Well guys my little baby didn't make it through the night :-( I think it died around 5am this morning because thats when its buddy started crying. Poor thing. I ran to the store and bought another one as soon as they opened so the other one wouldn't be too lonely. [​IMG]

By the way, baby ducks and chicks get along just find but they should be separated because the ducks get the chicks wet. Just a little tip..

Last edited: May 7, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by