little silkie hen is not feeling well...????any advice??

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by happychickengirl, Nov 17, 2011.

1. happychickengirl

happychickengirl New Egg

Sep 10, 2010
    my 1 1/2 year old silkie hen started this morning, not feeling well. She is not walking around, she has been puffed up.
    It seems like she doesnt have good balance, she wasn't sitting normal, trying to balnce with her wings..
    this evening I brought her inside, she is now resting comfortably ( so it seems ) in a nice warm basket..
    I checked her vent, it is clear. I can't feel an egg inside her, but I don't heve experience with that.
    Her eyes look good and clear, any advice would be greatly appreciated...
    thanks

2. JenniferNgo

JenniferNgo Out Of The Brooder

Aug 16, 2011
    Texas
    Have you checked for parasites? The vent is a favorite hang out but can be found on the chest and in their beard a lot.

When is the last time they were wormed? Naturally or with dewormer?

Are you putting grit in their food?

I also put vitamins in their water when the weather reaches any extreme or changes suddenly (happens a lot here in TX)

Just a few places to start maybe. Also check the droppings for ANYthing out of the ordinary. Wish you the very best of luck and she bounces back quickly!

3. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    Check around her vent for mites or lice. i find it helps to tip them over and use a flashlight (i have one that straps to my forehead). Is she thin? Can you feel her keel bone? How are her poos?

i have experienced chickens acting like that when they have an egg coming down the chute that might be pinching a nerve. Bringing her in overnight is perfect. You can watch her, keep her warm and safe.

Sometimes just some time inside to rest does the trick. Give her some tasty treats tomorrow, maybe some mashed hard boiled egg. If you have some Polyvisol baby vitamins without iron, give her a few drops in the side of her beak. Watch her and report back with any new symptoms. Hope she feels better soon.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by